Malocclusion Experiences and Links To Gp Illnesses

JoePig

Post   » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:46 pm

Cherry Vanilla,

1) I think you should start a new topic on this, I do not think many people will check here. (I found this because I am researching post operative care for when my guinea pig has his teeth trimmed.) I just want as many people as possible to see your post.

2) When my guinea pig broke his incisors, he could not pick up food either for a 2-3 days. I had to place the food into his mouth for him. His teeth soon grew back enough were he could eat again. It was scary!

3) I also chopped up his fruit and vegtables into very small pieces and my guinea pig was able to get those into his mouth by himself and eat.

4) I also tried rolling lettuce leaves into "cigarettes" and he took those into his mouth. I could feed him hay one piece at a time too.

But please consider starting a new topic for yourself to get help for your pig and you.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:41 pm

Looks like you started a new topic.

I copied my reply over to that post.

Cherry Vanilla

Post   » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:51 pm

No, he doesnt get too much fruit usually. Im feeding him fruit now, becouse I want him to eat. I think that incisors were the problem, becouse now he chews normally. Before vet trimmet his incisors, he didnt chew normally, and he didnt eat normally.
The only problem now is biting with front teeth.
What kind of food should I feed him now? He needs something to get energy from.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:55 pm

I took my reply to your thread. You can respond there.

Molly

Post   » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:48 am

My Little Guinea pig Beanie is 14 months old (short haired)

Had malocclusion at 12 months old. Took to vet who treated him (It didn't work) Took 8 weeks to find exotic vet who was very good. He did proceedure on molars, said that they were overgrown over his tongue. He is eating now an has been O.K for 3 weeks.

He had a small bladder stone at 6 months old that seems to have gon. He mused have passed it.

So far, so good.

Cherry Vanilla

Post   » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:46 pm

This is probably genetics, since he is only 14 months old.
My guinea pig is 6 years old, and last few weeks my boyfrieds mother took care of him, since we were on vacation. She didnt fed him properly, and that is why his front teeth overgrown.

He already started to eat by himself. I still need to hand feed him, becouse he still cant eat normally, he needs to sharp his incisors.
But he is much better now. His molars are fine - he insists on hard food, but he cant bite off a small piece. He puts a very big piece in his mouth, but he still manages to chew him with molars.
Today he managed to bite off a few pieces of vitamine (i dont know if you have those vitamins. They look like a little cookie.)

So, if molars were overgrown, I suppose he couldnt chew hard food, especially big pieces of pellets.
And, he insists on hard food.

I looked inside his mouth (I opened his jaw with fingers), and his tongue was free. I couldnt even see his molars.
And a vet looked at his molars with special tool, and she said they are not overgrown.

Piggiesjoy

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:10 pm

Hi,
1, Smudge, 3-4 years, shorthaired white with grey smudges(hence name!)
2, First needed treatment 15/10/2007, then 03/01/2008.
3, Prior to Malocclusion visited vets for URI'S, bumblefoot, & crusty eye among other things.
He was also hooting, lethargic, slept so soundly with eyes shut that I could pick him up before he awoke, I wasn't aware of importance at the time.
I became aware of teeth problems with Guineas after losing my beloved Rocky, none of the books I'd read warned of signs to look out for. Discovered this site, saved my Smudges life as now knew what to look for.
After last op for teeth he very nearly didn't make it as so poorly (from anaesthetic?)had to nurse him for 3 weeks. I had a discussion with vet prior to op and thankfully came home with Fortekor on dose recommended by Pinta. (Vet very impressed with this site, going to check it out at home).
Smudge is improving, more alert and finally eating on his own but, unless I feed him 2/3 times a day loses weight and still not that active.
Going to speak to vet about possible Thyroid problem, also his crusty eye has suddenly got much worse.
4, Only time will tell if heart treatment delays Malocclusion.
As a newbie I'd appreciate any advice I can get.
Interestingly my Rabbit seems to have similar problems I'm going to talk with my vet about that too.
Thanks for your patience.

pinta

Post   » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:18 am

Ask your vet about adding Vetmedin to the heart meds and possibly Lasix. You can do a search here on Vetmedin.

Piggiesjoy

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:46 pm

Thank you for your suggestion, unfortunately its too late. Smudge has kidney failure and won't be here for much longer. Sadly my lovely rabbit Bouncer will be joining him too.Just keeping them comfortable and pain free. I such miss both of them so much.

pinta

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:57 pm

Hydration subcues can go a long way towards making Smudge more comfortable. Do a search on Dom(Dominic) in this forum for more info in managing kidney disease. There is an over the counter "med" that is very helpful but I can't remember the name(something similar sounding to 'aquagel').

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:31 am

1) Bing / Peruvian, Teddy mix / three years
2) Three years when he was diagnosed with malocclusion. X-rays showed skull much denser on one side than the other and something that looked like fluid in one ear, but vet could not visually confirm that. His molars were overgrown on one side only.
3) Rapid weight loss, no other illness diagnosed before surgery. Blood test results came back post mortem abnormal liver enzymes and electrolyte levels. Vet thinks he had kidney and or liver failure.
4) Had his teeth trimmed only once, kept loosing weight in spite of aggressive hand feeding. He was taking Bactrim, Metacam and sub-Qs. Developed pneumonia like symptoms lungs sounded very congested when I listened with my stethoscope. Bing died four days after his tooth trim and three days before his third birthday.

Piggiesjoy

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:34 pm

Mixed news,
Smudge decided he didn't want to 'go'! and with syringe feeding home made rehydrate fluid he suddenly got up and ate some nice juicy grass,bit of tomato,pieces of cucumber and even a chew of carrot on Sunday. I am so impressed with this little guy.
Thank you for your advice Pinta ,I really appreciate it. I will talk it over with my vet tomorrow and get her to show me how to do sub-cues I know the theory just haven't had any practical experience.
To-day when I took him to vet she kept him in for rehydration fluids and to check his teeth aren't contributing to his not eating or drinking. Although he started nibbling on his favourite foods he still is not drinking.
Vet phoned to say 1 kidney is very much enlarged, may possibly be a renal tumour. :(
He's such a fighter I want to help him all I can but when do you decide it time to stop? I don't want him or my rabbit to suffer just because I'm too selfish to let either of them 'go'.
I'm so fortunate that my vets are very considerate regarding payment, paid £34 last week, today I paid £30 off bill so far, got another £67 to pay plus whatever costs are looming!!
My rabbit Bouncer is also at the vets, he's in a terrible state, his front is soaked from his drooling and he's not eating or drinking either. The vet has found his tongue is very swollen but they can't find any reason for it, his teeth are fine except he's lost his bottom incisors. Liz (my vet) says it might be a tumour too:(
It has been an awful weekend and the start of this week seems it 's going to get worse.