Henry - crusty eyes, lethargic

somechick

Post   » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:35 pm

My pigs all get Oxbow orchard grass. For one, it's so much softer so I buy it because they like to burrow and I don't want any stabbed eyeballs; and two, they actually seem to like it better.

Interesting Joannt. Henry is female and less than 2 years old, so I definitely wouldn't call her old by any means. But hey, maybe she's just susceptible to this kind of stuff. And if she's not eating pellets, but is switching herself to a hay/veggie only diet - I'm willing to see some weight loss, but I'd expect stabilization at some point. Pre-surgery she was 2lb 3oz. Post-op she was 2lb, and now she's 1lb 13oz. She just keeps losing.

After taking the stitches out about a month ago, she stabilized at 1lb 14oz and change and she was that way for awhile, until now.

Well, we'll see what this flushing does for her. Thanks for the input everyone.

somechick

Post   » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:18 pm

So I have some bupronex here. But the vet keeps telling me that if I don't inject it, I have to put it under the tongue. How can I get under a pigs tongue? Won't it work if I just syringe it like other meds?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:45 pm

I'm sorry Henry is not doing too well, SC. Can you squirt it under her tongue with a 1cc syringe?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:39 pm

"I have to put it under the tongue ..."

?!?!

Draw the correct dose (if it's injectable, it'll probably be a miniscule amount), mix it with water, fruit juice, Pedialyte etc. and administer it orally.

Double-check this with Josephine, but I know of no reason it can't go through her GI tract. It will work much more quickly sublingual, but I think it's perfectly okay to administer it orally.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:45 pm

Works much better either sublingually or transbuccally (applied to the inside of the cheeks or mucous membranes).

somechick

Post   » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:55 am

Right, this is what I know too. But my issue is: how on earth do I get *under* a piggie tongue!? :)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:03 pm

Wish I could offer advice. I think Torbugesic is absorbed better under the tongue, too, but if it's any consolation, I just administered it orally via syringe. I know it was absorbed into his system, because it has totally screwed up his GI tract. :(

pinta

Post   » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:05 pm

or transbuccally (applied to the inside of the cheeks or
mucous membranes).

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:29 pm

Take a 1 cc or 0.5 cc syringe and fill with the appropriate dose. If you have access to Baxa syringes, their tips are more rounded and less sharp.

Then, go in, in back of the incisors but in front of the molars, like you would for forcefeeding ... but don't make the turn to straighten out back, toward the molars and back of the throat. At this point the syringe should be pointed just about right at the buccal pad on the cheek opposite the point you're going in.

Gently and slowly depress the plunger. I'd try wiggling it around a little bit to try to 'smear' it, if that's possible.

If you don't have Baxas, be careful. Monoject et al can have pretty sharp points.

I have never done this, I'm just trying to visualize. Let us know if it (or anything) works.

somechick

Post   » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:18 am

I have the Baxa's. Well, I don't know. Gave it to her again yesterday afternoon, but I'm wondering if it has a negative effect on her. Saturday she seemed out of it for a little bit, but yesterday she was out of it ALL evening. I'm going to try to not give it today if she can manage.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:44 pm

Or give her less. In my experience the opiates work linearly -- that is, a little has a little effect, a lot has a lot.

somechick

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:33 am

Okay. We have some e-coli now that was shown on a culture. Giving Bactrim for that. But Dr. D doesn't think that's really related to all of this crying stuff, since her bladder walls are still really thick.

Out of desperation, I found this natural healing vet near me. I don't know anything about homeopathics so this stuff seems bizzare to me. I'm not all that into alternative medicine because I feel like I can't get my head around it.

This doc gave me Homeopathic 'Berberis Homaccord' and 'Traumeel' for pain. What *is* this stuff? Is it safe? Normal to use? The doc says yes, but can I trust her? She didn't seem like an idiot, but since I don't know about this stuff, I don't know if she knows what she's talking about or not. She's not science-y so I can't open a book and say "no you gave me penicillin, that's not okay". This is foreign, and therefore scary to me.

Anyone got anything?

Edit: when I look this stuff up online, it doesn't seem to give any side effects or cautions. And when it tells me what's in it, it's just a bunch of big words. So I guess that's also why I'm nervous, I just can't understand it.