Silky's very bad vet/health report

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:42 pm

I'm really sorry. It is devistating to be given such a dire diagnosis. Enjoy what time you have left, however long or short it may be. And take pictures and/or video.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:47 pm

Hugs to you all.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:02 pm

I'm so sorry you got such bad news. Just take things day by day and it is wonderful how much you have been able to do to keep her going with all those health issues. Sometimes I think we love them so much it's what keeps them going as long as they do.

Piggywig

Post   » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:05 pm

Thanks so much, everyone. Your kind words mean a lot. Sometimes I think that the diagnoses must have been mistakes, because she looks so perky, and then other times when her little eyes look tired, I know they were not. I know they weren't wrong anyway, but you know how you do.

I will look into that medication, Fortekor, I believe you spelled it, because it sounds like it might be a good thing.

The thing that is good right now is that she loves all of the medications she takes. She adores benebac, and metacam, and even the baby's gas medication. It is Walmart's brand, equate, and she loves the taste, for any of you that might need a tasty gas medication for piggies. She also loves to chew on the syringes.

She has been pulling her leg under her and using it more, which I am proud to see.

Once again, Silky and I both thank you for everything!

meggielou

Post   » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:15 pm

I'm so sorry for the bad news. That's such a cute photo of Silky! I'm thinking of you both.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:24 pm

Silky is very beautiful, and it's wonderful that she enjoys her medicines.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:43 pm

Fortekor is known as Lotensin in the US. I hope you can help her be a little more comfortable for the rest of her life.

Pinta had luck with a pig with kidney failure, using daily subcutaneous fluids and I believe aluminum dioxide. Do a search for posts by pinta about Dom.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:23 pm

Silky, you sure are a cutie pie!

rpaws

Post   » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:59 pm

Silkie, you definitely are one fabulous beauty.

Pigginess
You are my sunshine

Post   » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:19 pm

Piggywig, my heart goes out to you and Silky and Moose. Silky looks like she has so much personality in her photo.

If you decide to feed her Critical Care it might help to run the dry CC through a blender. Then when you mix it with water it's much smoother.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you all.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:02 pm

Fortekor = Lotensin = benazepril.

Benazepril is a common human heart medication (ACE inhibitor). Any human or veterinary compounding pharmacy can mix it up for you easily and quickly, if your vet will call it in. Get a light banana flavor, and she should love it.

If she needs it, it will help her quickly and possibly dramatically.

Pigginess
You are my sunshine

Post   » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:03 am

How is Silky doing? You've all been in my thoughts and heart.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:09 am

Pigginess---I think Silky's mom is out of town this week on vacation to visit family. I know she was planning on taking her piggies with her.

Beans_sarabeara

Post   » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:35 am

Missy, Harriette, and I send our condolences for that horrible vet report. We also wish Miss. Silkie the best.

Pigginess
You are my sunshine

Post   » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:31 pm

Thanks Weaver. It's great that she could take them with her.

cat22woman

Post   » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:55 pm

Awwww, what a beautiful girl! I hope she is comfortable and lives a long, long time.

Piggywig

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:03 am

Hi everyone, thanks for thinking of us! We went to my Mom's, the pigs Grandma's for a visit. While we were there we went to the vet, and the report was pretty okay. Cuteness first, though... Silky and her young hunky neighbor, Moose.

Where's the treats? Is the silver flashing thing a treat?

Silky's weight was up to 752g, which is better than before. It could be extra water and stuff, but still, it sounds good. I've been feeding her more, she can use it! She had had flakes around one eye, so I was worried, but he said her eyes looked great, he thought maybe she needed more C in her diet, he examined a piece of flake and saw nothing there. I've noticed her leg is better to the point that she can sit back and wash herself again, and her eyes are clean again.

She has some skin flakes, he did take a flake and hair sample, and saw nothing, but we treated both piggies with revolution again, just in case. They've never had critters, but it never hurts to be sure.

We discussed the medication for her heart and kidneys, and after some discussion, thought it might be best not to try it. Her heart beat was twice as fast as Moose's. Moose's was much louder. Moose has gone from 1166g to 1312g. Moose is getting pudgy. Moose takes after his Mom.

I thought I would update you all. I will be a sad piggie mom tomorrow night, because I will be leaving them again, and this time they can't come with me. But I know they will be in good hands. But I'm going to miss them!

JaneDoe

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:14 am

They're pretty, Piggywig. Glad Silky's doing better.

Pigginess
You are my sunshine

Post   » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:36 am

Thanks for the update Piggywig. She looks so happy. Who wouldn't be with a totally devoted piggie mom and hunky Moose nearby.

Good luck on your trip.

Pigginess
You are my sunshine

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:46 am

Piggywig are you back from your trip. What is the latest update? Caring minds want to know!

49 posts