Rosie is Limping

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:50 pm

Keep in mind that hormone treatments won't be permanent. I wish the best for you two.

Trick

Post   » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:45 pm

That's good to hear LAWomans. I'm really hoping Rosie will be able to go back in though as she misses her herd, but if she can't, well it could be worse.

Thanks Lynx :) We're prepared to repeat the treatment as necessary, anything to keep her from a spay unless she really really needs it.

I'll update once she's had her first injection which will hopefully be this week.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:40 pm

Lots to be said for trusting your gut. ;-) Job well done for Rosie, and please keep us posted.

Trick

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:55 am

I'm going to take Rosie in either this evening or on Friday evening to get her first injection. As far as I know it's HCG she'll be getting but I'll confirm that first. I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone here may be able to help with!

How many doses should she get? I think I remember good vet saying he recommended 3 doses, and I have it in my head they should be 10 days apart but I'm not sure where I got that information from as I can't find it searching now.

The hormone injections are not a proper fix - does this mean I should schedule regular "top ups" and if so, how often?

If this hormone doesn't work can we then try another and see if she fares better with an alternative?

If there is an expert on the boards with pigs who've had the injections I could e-mail I'd love to know :)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:21 pm

**All answers not based on experience, but based on what I have read here and what vets have told me**

1. I think you are recallling correctly: 3 doses, 10 days apart.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35201

2. "Top ups" make sense, but I think (think, not know) it depends on the response of the individual pig to the treatment.

3. Not sure but think the answer would be yes. Check with your vet.

Trick

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:43 am

Just a little up date on my girlie. Rosie had her first injection last Monday and is so far doing fine. We haven't had her near the other girls yet to "test" her but she's still the same happy fuzz butt she always is in her bachelorette pad.

We had to wait quite a while for the vets to get the meds in stock, and Rosie squealed like a pig when she got the injection :/ I felt terrible. Amazingly as always she refrained from pooping on the vet and held her pee in right until she got home and back in her pen.

She gets her next injection on Thursday next week. Thanks again for all the advice so far :)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:04 pm

" ... Rosie squealed like a pig when she got the injection ..."

It's a horrible sound, isn't it? :-(

Guinea pig skin is tough stuff. Think about trying to inject something into a football. The vets have to stick them really hard, but once stuck, they're generally fine.

Cats (and humans) have softer skin and are easier to stick, but it hurts longer afterward. (Or so I'm told.)

Trick

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:41 am

Thank you Talishan, that made me feel a lot better that it might not hurt so much after :) She did seem to forgive us pretty quick.

Rosie got her second injection last night, and it went a lot better I think. As soon as it was done and she was back in the box she was so happy, she knew that was everything and she was going home!

We're going to try introductions this week and see if she will go back in the big pen so we can monitor her behaviour better. Living by herself it is hard to see how much the injections have helped but she definitely seems a lot happier these days.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:06 am

That's so cool. I'd love it if she could be back with her buddies.

jarbax

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:47 pm

Hi there! Have been preoccupied with kitchen upheavals, and haven't been online much atall - but have been wondering how Rosie is gettig on. Things are sounding positive! I am really glad too that you are going with the injections (incidently, Mary didn't even seem to notice her second injection). I will be watching closely to see how she gets on (and have everything crossed for successful reintroductions!)

What're the doses your vet is giving? I know checking with Thistle, that the recommended dosings are two, 10 days apart, and then a third 40 days later. That's where I made a big mistake with Mary in the summer - I thought it was 40 days, then 10 - so went off on holiday! (she is still doing fine though despite her twittish owner).

All the best,

Jane

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:34 pm

You are not twittish!! :-) But glad to hear Rosie (and Mary) are doing well.

Trick

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:47 pm

Her second injection was 10 days after the first and we're going to keep an eye on her the coming week to see if there is any sign of improvement. If we feel she needs another dose then we'll take her back - I wasn't aware the third was supposed to be 40 days later though.

I'll get the bloke to phone the TC vet and double check what he said we were to do - thanks for the heads up on how long to wait! If that vet tells us to go for the third injection then we'll tell the local vets to give us it at the correct time. Having all these vets can get a bit confusing!

Has Mary had all her injections successfully now? I was glad to read she was doing so well.

And you're definitely not twittish... especially if you post more pics of your girlies I can coo over ;)