Henry - crusty eyes, lethargic

somechick

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:08 am

Well, I'll skip trying to find those ingredients then. So e. coli kind of seems like a death sentence here. Nausea. Ugh, there must be light at the end of this thing.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:20 am

I'm sorry to hear Henry's troubles are not over. Did you try the Shilintong for at least 1 week?

I can tell you that I spent $2500 over the course of 2yrs to get Angel relief. It was the shilintong that did it so at least I did her relief at the end. Angel even had exploratory surgery which i wouldn't recommend. All it did was confirm there was no tumor and she had interstitial cystitis and inflammation in her entire uro-genital tract.

I hope that you can find something that works for poor Henry.

I tried homeopathic stuff too but it was tincture of corn silk and something else I can't remember..it did nothing.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:29 am

So e. coli kind of seems like a death sentence here
No - it's treatable.

somechick

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:29 am

Yes, she's been on the shilintong for a little over a week with no results. And it's not *really* the money, it's just that at some point, it will run out. In theory, I'd spend any amount, but I know that I can't. And after that $2000 spay with a result of "oh, actually there's nothing wrong" makes me ill to think that I'm spending and spending and not getting any further along. Nug is still hurting.

After searching for E. Coli on GL I've found all sorts of sad news. One post mentioned a 90% mortality rate in boars, another was momof911's thread, and so on and so on.

This says something about cranberries and E. Coli in the bladder, but I can't tell if this sentence is saying that this is a good thing or bad thing. "Inhibits adherence" seems negative to me.

I guess I'll try the homeopathic stuff and see what it does. Worst case it does nothing. I can't find any info online saying it has side effects so, it's worth a shot. At this point, if feeding her Taco Bell made the pain go away I would. I'm desperate.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:34 am

As I understand it, E.coli has to be treated aggressively. Did you get a sensitivity report?

You might email Pigginess - she can fill you in on her treatment protocol for Emily, which was successful.

somechick

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:41 am

Well, my vet isn't back until Saturday so I don't know if there was a report. I will double check then. My doc is pretty good with this stuff, so for now, I'll assume there is one, but obviously will ask. I'll shoot a mail to pigginess. The only thing is, Henry can't tolerate the Baytril's and Cipro's nor the Azithromycin so my options are limited to one drug basically.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:54 am

Some pigs can tolerate a/bs by injection when they can't tolerate it orally.

Smoskaly
Supporter in '09

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:06 pm

Dear somechick,

Your trails and tribulations with Henry are breaking my heart. Poor little girl!

I don't have experience with guinea pigs and cystitis, but, do have some experience with this in dealing with my elderly mother. She developed constant pressure in her bladder and frequent urination. After many months of antibiotics, lots of tests from an expensive urination, nothing had changed. The doctors could not find any cause -- no stones, no signs of infections, etc. Finally, I started my mom on cranberry. She drinks 1/3 cup of unsweetened cranberry juice daily (diluted with water, and sweetened with stevia). She also takes one capsule of capsulated dried cranberry with each meal. Mom mom had suffered with cystitis for over a year, but this cranberry stuff eliminated her symptoms within a week. She's been on the cranberry protocol for several years now. Once, we stopped the cranberry, and her cystitis started coming back.

So, you might want to try cranberry for your piggie. Either buy the unsweetened pure juice (make sure it isn't mixed with other juices), dilute it, and syringe feed. Or, maybe try buying the frozen whole cranberries and feeding a few each day.

Sending a prayer for Henry...

Smoskaly
Supporter in '09

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:09 pm

Regarding cranberry, I forgot to add that an ingredient in cranberries (mannose, or something like that) makes the bladder wall slippery, so bacteria can't adhere to the bladder wall. At least, that's what I've read.

somechick

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:09 pm

Would critterberries not be enough? Because I give one of those daily. Is there a benefit of the juice over the treats? People have mentioned the cranberry juice before, but maybe I assumed (or it has been said, I can't remember at this point) that the critterberries are good too.

About your sticking to the wall comment -- is that what that link I referred to is talking about too? The "inhibits adherence" thing?

Smoskaly
Supporter in '09

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:12 pm

Sorry, not familiar with critterberries. Maybe someone else can comment. What are critterberries made of?

Yes, it sounds like the link you referred to was also talking about the bacteria not being able to adhere to the bladder wall.

ellenvega
Skol Pigs!

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:47 pm

What critterberries consist of

I'm not sure there's a whole lot of cranberry in them.