Sebastian Thread

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:58 pm

Here is Navin's suture photo.

I'm still looking for more stone surgery photos, but also found these excellent spay incision photos:

Henry's spay suture photo #1
Henry's spay suture (healing) photo #2
Henry's incision, healed photo #3
Thank you, Somechick!

Salana's Suzi's spay sutures #1
Suzi's spay sutures #2
Suzi's spay sutures - a compilation

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:19 pm

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:43 pm

tracis, you are a gem. Thank you SO much. :} I took a pic of Bassy's incision tonight and will also post it tomorrow. Compared to some of the others, it seems very clean.

Bass ate all of his veggies this evening, and had his second feeding of CC just now. His poops look perfect (fingers crossed that they stay that way). It's so wonderful NOT to hear him cry when he pees and poops. He is spending quite a bit of time resting in his pigloo, which I guess is normal, but isn't lethargic.

Next order of business is to find out how in the heck to prevent this from happening again.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:07 pm

There are pics of Snowflake's healing incision (it was glued) on the surgery page too.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:29 pm

I'm so glad that Bassy is eating. We are sending more healing thoughts his way.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:18 am

This is a very interesting set of photos from Elly, showing bruising at Meg's incision site. Josephine agreed that the discoloration was bruising, not infection. Meg was spayed.

Mkkayla's Liberty's sutures (lump removal)

Rachelm's Squeak's sutures (follicular tumor removal)

pinta

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:42 am

I'm talking about masticated food that some how gets deposited in a pocket way down in the throat. Unless there has been enough time for this food matter to naturally evacuate the pocket, there is a risk that it can end up in the throat, obstructing breathing, while the pig is sedated.

somechick

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:29 am

Wow, looking back at Henry's spay, that incision was actually pretty nicely done. My regular vet uses glue, which, eh, I prefer the sutures myself. Tracis is the master search-n-finder.

How's Bassy this morning? It's great he's already not crying. I bet he's relieved!

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:18 am

Hooray for BassyBoy!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:34 am

Here is the offending stone:

Dried sludge (Dr. M said there was a huge mass of this stuff in his bladder; stone seemed to be blocking it from flushing out):

Stitches:

Closer view:

Good little patient:

somechick

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:41 am

Woah, that stone and sludge looks -- I mean, how big are pig bladders? Not that huge right? That seems like something I would not be happy with if it were in my little piggy bladder.

My sutures, as you saw, were more like fishing line, and not really visible and not easily pick-at-able. But I don't see anything bad about these. Just make sure he doesn't want to remove them himself :). Incision looks clean and smooth.

Bassy's like Sanford! He'll eat right off the spoon! Makes life easier for you I'm sure. What a cutie!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:45 am

What a wonderful cooperative patient! And huge honkin' stone! Lots of sludge!

If I were you I would also incorporate Becky's suggestion of maybe twice weekly subcues to help flush his system after he's recovered. I know you don't want to go through this again.

p.s. I'm guessing I can add these pics to this thread?