Sebastian Thread

Topaz

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:46 am

Good boy Sebastian!

I bet he's going to feel soooo much better with that all that junk out of there.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:05 am

Yeah, I wondered if he would be inclined to chew on them. I haven't seen him do it so far, so hopefully he'll leave them alone.

Dr. M wanted me to give him fluids today and tomorrow for sure. I need to try Mum's subque methods, because my approach doesn't work very well. He has quickly figured out that the piggie burrito means getting jabbed, so it's a battle to keep him still long enough to get the needle in and the fluids administered.

Lynx -- yes, that's fine w/ me.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:40 pm

Thanks! You always take such great pics. Crisp and clear!

I wish you success on your subcues.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:01 pm

I hope he continues to do well! Bassy must feel very relieved to get rid of all that sludge and that stone.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:32 pm

Thanks! I think he feels a heck of a lot better, even with the post-surgery pain.

I called my vet's office to ask about butterfly sets. They have ONE left, and it's a 23-gauge with 3/4" needle. Yipee. I'm going to try that tomorrow and see if it's any easier.

I had asked this somewhere before, but am still not sure -- if a bag of Ringer's has been opened BUT a new needle and a new syringe are used every time (I use two needles each time; one to jab into the bag, and the other to go into Bass), can the same bag of solution be kept and used for quite some time? I think someone said there is a risk of contamination when used after a few weeks, but what if new supplies are always used with it?

I would think this doesn't hold true if you use a Butterfly set with it, though. ?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:51 pm

I think Josephine might have commented on this but I unfortunately don't remember what she said. One thing I'd worry about is the warming and cooling of the solution (it should be warmed to room temp before administering).

I know it can be used a few times though.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:29 pm

I've also been counseled to use different needles each time, one to transfer the fluid into the syringe, and the butterfly to inject it. I'm going to go thru my entire bag in a week, though, so I guess the contamination issue might not be as relevant.

I've been running the filled syringe under hot water, to avoid the warming and cooling of the entire bag of solution.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:49 pm

Same here; I just warm the syringe and not the whole bag.

Amy, you use a butterfly with a syringe? I never thought of doing that way. I was thinking the butterfly had to be attached directly to the bag, and then you have the whole issue of warming the entire bag. What size syringe do you usually use? 35ml? And you use 23-gauge, right? The ones I found online say "5/8" needle, but the one the vet has is supposedly 3/4". How in the heck do you get a 5/8" needle inserted?

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:13 pm

I have a 60 cc syringe. To draw the fluids out of the bag, I attach an 18 gauge x 1" needle. When the syringe is full, I carefully remove and dispose of that needle and attach a 21 gauge x 3/4" butterfly (winged infusion set). Keeping the butterfly needle covered and away from the faucet, I run hot water over the syringe part for awhile til the fluids feel comfortable. I push the air out thru the butterfly, get Allison to hold Oreo, then I slip it in. She hates it. The Vet was good enough to give me 7 of each needles so I'd have a week's worth. She's getting 60 cc's of fluid a day.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:23 pm

Wow. I had no idea what a big difference the butterfly could make. Picked one up from our vet this morning -- they only had the one left in a 23-gauge. I've been using 22g 1/2" regular needles, but he is very fussy about it and I wanted to try a smaller size.

I was feeling unsure about using the set, but followed what you said Amy. We're only doing 20cc's, so I got my syringe filled up from the bag, warmed the syringe, went and got Bassy, attached the butterfly, and then took a deep breath before jabbing him. After two false starts (he immediately wriggled out of the towel), I got it. He made one little cry and then that was it! No fussing, no wheeking. He did move around a little on the table -- is that okay? They don't have to remain perfectly still, right?

Do you continue to hold onto the butterfly tabs, Amy, or just let it hang naturally? I just let it stay in on its own, and could then use my "spare" hand to rub his ears. Maybe a small treat would help keep his mind off it-?

Seemed like it didn't take any time at all to get the 20cc's in and the butterfly catheter out, and we were done.

Definitely need to order some more today. I spoke briefly with Dr. M when I picked up the supplies, and she felt that fluid therapy would be a good idea for him -- subq's once or twice a week.

Here's hoping practice makes perfect. :\

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:26 pm

I don't hang onto it once it's inserted (no need to), but Oreo continues to fuss a bit. I think that's because it takes longer and she's got very little meat on her bones at the moment due to having lost weight. Allison stands in front of her and holds her steady and I rub her behind her ears. We get through it ok, but I still cringe when I first put that needle in and she yelps. I would think a treat would be a great distraction.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:41 pm

Does Becky have some suggestions on holding vs. letting go?
www.guinealynx.info/subcue.html

Glad it worked better for you.