What's actually involved in starting/running a rescue?

grayrose

Post   » Thu May 29, 2003 11:24 pm

I need some honest advice. I live near Penn State University. The Monday after graduation, I called the local SPCA, and sure enough someone had brought in 3 guinea pigs. They'd been found in a Dumpster. I rushed over there as soon as the 48-hour holding period was up. They were dirty and scared. At least they had separated the male from the 2 females. The older two (maybe 6-9 months) were pretty solid, but the youngest female was skin and bones. Anyway they are doing great. The vet couldn’t tell if either of the females were pregnant. I guess I’ll know in few weeks.

But this has got me thinking. The nearest guinea pig rescue I’ve been able to find is about 48 miles away in another county. I talked to the woman who runs it. She has about 50 + pigs, including one with diabetes. In other words, she’s at capacity. A brand new Petco (evil place) just open here last year. There are thousands and thousands of students here 9 months of the year. They go to Petco, not the rescue and not the SPCA, and see the cute piggies and bring them back to their dorm room or apartment, then get bored, or have to leave, and dump them in dumpsters. (I am still really upset about this.) Our local SPCA is small and not set up to handle guinea pigs, just dogs and cats, and maybe the occasional rabbit.

My point is students won’t go 50 miles to rescue a pet, not when they can use daddy’s credit card to buy one up the street. And they won’t go 20 miles to the SPCA when they don’t want the pig anymore.

I think there should be a rescue here in town, and maybe I should do it because no one else is. Am I insane? What would I be taking on? I’m a 43-year-old stay at home mom with two young boys.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Thu May 29, 2003 11:31 pm

www.cavyrescue.com has a lot of information for starting your own rescue.

I tried it for awhile, but it wasn't the thing for me at this point in time. I'm best suited just to have lots of them to spoil rotten and keep for myself :-)

pinta

Post   » Fri May 30, 2003 12:02 am

It sure sounds like you have valid reasons to start a rescue.

It's tough work and most burn out before 5 years pass. No ine can blame them.

Nuts(imanut4u) is really level headed and has rescue experience. She would be excellent for input.

There was also a very good thread in the placement(?) forum. Maybe someone remembers it....?

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri May 30, 2003 12:15 am

There was a thread I started that sort of grew into a lot of good advice and people talking about rescuing. That link is:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... ue&start=0

Hope this helps.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 30, 2003 9:31 am

You do have to have financial resources and time. You can't depend on donations or the adoption fee to cover costs. You might also consider being a foster family for this other rescue if they would allow you to place pigs in your home town.

grayrose

Post   » Fri May 30, 2003 10:53 pm

I read the thread. Yipes! You guys sure know how to scare someone but good. Still, I could start small and see how it goes. Advertising and education, though, seem to be the way to go. Thanks.

grayrose

Post   » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:21 am

Last night I was sitting with my piggies, petting Pete E. Wheatstraw (three guesses as to his color). He had a really good day today. After a month of sitting in the corner of his cage and running for cover anytime anyone came near, and then finally making a friend, Mr. Puff, only to have this so-called friend attack him after weeks of peaceful co-existence, Pete E. was popcorning. Now he is dosing in my lap.

Anyway back to the story. I was thinking about the trip I will be making today to Pittsburgh to pick-up 6 piggies who were in a rescue, only to have their haven collaspe out from under them. And I was wondering about what life will be like with 25 pigs, when I heard the most amazing sound. At first I wasn't sure what it was, it was so soft and musical and magical. Then I realized one of the pigs was singing. I slowly looked around to see who it was. For a minute I thought it was Mr. Puff, that adorable naughty scamp. Then I saw it was the little girl, Nutmeg, who arrived here from Ohio not long ago. She was chirping. All the other piggies stopped munching, and chomping and chatting and looked at her. It was incredible. I thought I would start to cry. Instead I call softly to my husband so he could hear it. Then I came here to share it with all of you. She's still singing. I wish you could hear it. It is an amazing and beautiful sound.

I had my 7. Then came 3 from the SPCA. Then a couple of petstore pigs in very bad shape. I gave the manager what-for and walked out of there with a pair of traumatized babies and a promise from the store to change there ways. No money changed hands. Then came the Ohio pigs. They are here for keeps and left a good home because of allergies. Today I go get the Pittsburgh pigs. And finally, I got a call from a friend of a friend about taking a geriatric pig whose family is a casulty of a local plant closing and have to move ASAP.

So I guess I'm going to be a rescue now. Should it be Song of the Cavy: A Guinea Pig Rescue or Cavy Song Rescue?

Joni

Post   » Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:02 am

Aw, what a story. That singing is well... Nala was really loud but I guess I could say beautiful. It just happened to be 4:00 am and VERY loud. Good luck with your rescue and let us know how you make out with your new piggers.

I like the Cavy Song Rescue name. Really nice!

purrie

Post   » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:12 pm

I like Cavy Song too.

Lily has awakened me with her singing - it is really neat.

Lucky

Post   » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:24 pm

I like Song of the Cavy: A Guinea Pig Rescue best, but either way it is a wonderful story and a cute name.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:30 pm

Gayrose- where are you located? I see you took the pigs from Cathy's, that's too bad that she had to rehome her pigs, do you know if she's ok?

I adopted 1 pigs from her in March, haven't heard from her since!

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:32 pm

Oh, and the two himi's - the older one is the mother to the pig I adopted(Rover). The babies were born on Feb 5th, so the little one isn't quite 6 months like was posted on the other board.