Sebastian Thread

somechick

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:04 am

My vet - who I love and trust completely - also advised 60ccs at a time. It's the only thing I've ever disagreed with her on. For a tiny pig, 60 just seems like so much.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:37 pm

I know; I panicked and over-did. :(

Dr. M had said 20cc's once a week, but I was going to try it twice a week just to be on the safe side. There's no way I could manage 3 times a week, especially if I keep doing them by myself.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:12 pm

Actually, the more often you do them, the easier it gets. I still flinch when I first put in the needle, but Oreo isn't as freaked out, so I think I'm doing a better job.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:37 pm

Putting the needle in isn't too bad, but getting him to hold still so that I can do it -- now, that's another thing. He runs around the table, kicks at me, squirms out of the towels, wriggles out of my arms, tries to climb up my neck, knocks over everything on the table, and squeals like I'm coming after him with a meat cleaver.

Ugh.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:41 pm

You know, thinking about it...I'm wondering if maybe I stopped the Metacam too soon. I was thinking "pain" (which he hasn't shown any signs of), but it might have been keeping the bladder inflammation down.

?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:38 pm

Restart it and see what happens -- is what I'd do if he were mine.

My old vets have told me two things: one, shave whatever you need to shave so you can see what you're doing. The hair grows back; and, two, only ER vets should push as much as 50-60 cc's at one subcue, and that for a severely dehydrated animal. Amy, if Oreo is okay with it, I'd certainly not tell you to give her less. My comment here is for general reference.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:44 pm

I've backed off a little, simply because there'd be some leaking out. But right now, there's a lot of slack skin because of all the weight loss.

Zoe

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:04 pm

I can't imagine doing more than 30 cc's at a time. Maybe doing that twice a day, 60 at once seems like an awful lot.

I have 3 pigs I have to subcue today. I made a little polar fleece sling-like thing to hold them a bit for me. I need to do these things without help and each of my pigs reacts differently. With this thing I made, their legs stick through holes in the polar fleece. If they start to get squirmy, I lift the piggy up with the fleece that's around the shoulders. And they don't get hurt if they really struggle. They eventually slip out, but it really slows them down without stressing them, or me, out.

Good luck to you Sebastian.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:09 pm

Is there a diagram somewhere that shows what spots are best for subcue? Neck and both thigh areas are the only ones I know about. Can you pretty much give one anywhere there is loose skin? Are there areas that are more sensitive than others? Are there areas that are more effective than others?

Gave Sebastian a dose of Metacam this evening, so we'll see if it makes a difference. I never heard back from the vet today, unless he left me a message after I left work. That reminds me...I need to log off AOL and check my messages.

Zoe, any chance you could post a picture of your invention? :)

Zoe

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:33 pm

I will try to get my sister to take pictures of my invention. It really does help.

It's basically an oblong piece of thin polar fleece with slits cut where the legs go through. I hold it with a clip around the haunches. Then around the shoulder, I cut the cloth into a couple of strips that I can grasp. The back end of the polar fleece is pretty long. I tied it to the chair to hold it steady while the pig is in my lap. I push the cloth aside where I do the subcue part.

My sister is super busy, but I really need to get a picture of it. It is SO helpful. She's my photographer.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:56 pm

Sounds handy! I'd love to see it.

Well, no message from the vet. So I have no idea whether I should use my last Baytril tab tonight, or go back to Bactrim and see if the Metacam helps.

Crap. Crap. Crap.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:15 pm

I'd be happy to add it to the subcue page if it is clear enough that it would be helpful to others.