Stella's Medical Thread

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:22 am

What a fantastic improvement!

I wonder what it was that cured the infection on her nose and lips? I have a pig with chronic cheilitis, which I'm only able to keep under control with twice daily applications of Otomax (I've been doing this for two years).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:32 am

Thanks so much for the update! I'm thrilled that she looks so good! I realized I only added the beginning photos (you gave permission to include them) so I went back and added most of the rest of the photos too so people will always (I hope) be able to see how she improved.

I hope this is the last you ever see of such a serious skin condition. Thanks for the summary.

SStroh

Post   » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:07 pm

Mum- I can tell you for sure that it was most likely the Program that cured her nose and lips, because I stopped the lymdyp after her head cleared up most of the way, but her nose was still pretty bad, and the only other thing she was getting then was revoultion, which I wouldn't think would make a difference.

The vet didn't seem to think the chelitis was an issue, as the last time I took Stella in she just said to watch it, and with the rest of her getting better it should follow suit.

I also wanted to add, for future reference, we never figured out what this was, even after a biopsy and two blood tests. The lab that read the first biopsy even told me they would read a second for free, after seeing how bad she had gotten, but luckily we never had to resort to that. And I want to mention that after she finally got better, she rocketed in a matter of a few weeks from her sick weight around 790 grams, up to 1068 grams now.

SStroh

Post   » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:22 pm

Stella's ear thing is coming back. I think I may go crazy.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:20 pm

Oh, no! I know how hard you fought to get rid of it. Biopsies and cultures never told you exactly what it was? Is it on both ears? Could you review all your treatments and try the ones you felt were most effective?

I hope terribly that you can get this under control before you have an awful mess again.

SStroh

Post   » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:32 am

Nope, we never figured out what it was, and I've ordered 6 months worth of revolution and program to start all over again. I also still have the Lymdyp, but I'm not going to mess with that unless the other stuff doesn't work.

Obviously I stopped treatment too early last time, and my vet is recommending I continue treating her for at least a month after she gets better this time. I really hope I've caught it early enough to stop it this time.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:47 am

Oh, poor Stella! I am sending wishes for a speedy (and complete) vanishing of her "ear thing".