Henry - crusty eyes, lethargic

somechick

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:03 pm

Oh. Cranberry Extract powder seems to be the only mention of cranberry. Hmph. Well, maybe I'll grab some juice tonight. I guess I would get this kind of stuff at a health / natural food store?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:07 pm

It'll be a lot easier to find unsweetened at a health or natural food store. Most regular stores carry only sweetened.

Best wishes to Henry and to you. I wish I had something more useful than that to add.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:19 pm

Trader Joe's has a lot of unsweetened juices. I just bought blueberry-pomegranite (for myself).

somechick

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:29 pm

Trader Joe's are not near me, but from what I hear about them, I wish they were! There's one by my vet apparently, but since I drive that hour every other day of my life, I'm going to not do that today. There's a natural food store closer to my house, so I'll stop there first.

So, any specific amount to give her? Should I limit it to 1cc a day or should I let her go nuts? This is - if she'll actually take it.

Ledasmom

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:39 pm

If you can find fresh cranberries, it's worth trying those. I just found out that my pigs love them, although they are not allowed to have very many. Cutting them in half would probably make them easier to eat.

Smoskaly
Supporter in '09

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:55 pm

You could also try frozen cranberries, letting them defrost on the kitchen counter before giving them to the pigs. Mine learned to like them fairly quickly. Unfortunately, I don't know how much is an appropriate amount when trying to combat cystitis.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:37 pm

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:56 pm

I've drunk half a gallon of cranberry juice every day for the past three days and it has helped, but not cured, my UTI.

somechick

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:33 am

Okay well it seems like Critterberries are good, but maybe not cutting it in Henry's situation -- it seems like most things are not cutting it. We'll see how she takes the juice today.

I know I haven't gotten much homeopathic advice, but, uh, is this stuff *supposed* to be colorless, odorless, and tasteless? I mean, it just appears as if there's water in there. Weird.

And again, is it really possible there's a stone or other obstruction in there that we aren't seeing on the multiple x-rays and ultrasounds? Or maybe it's just a cystitis I have to somehow deal with. But nothings helping. Hmm.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:12 pm

I know I haven't gotten much homeopathic advice, but, uh, is this stuff *supposed* to be colorless, odorless, and tasteless? I mean, it just appears as if there's water in there. Weird.

Yeah, it's homeopathic medicine--it probably is just water in there. The way homeopathy "works" is that they take an active ingredient and dilute it a lot. Then they dilute it some more. Then they dilute it again, and say the water is behaving like the thing that may or may not be in there. Anything that has like "cranberry 3X" or "nightshade 10X" on the back is homeopathic.

Herbal supplements will be listed in mg, or mcg generally. Like "Chanca piedra 200mcg" or "Echinacea 600mg" or "dong quai 50mg". They may not help, they may have harmful effects, but there is an active ingredient.

somechick

Post   » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:29 am

Just an update here. She is still crying while peeing, although it *seems* less loud and less long. Maybe the Bactrim is killing the E. Coli, maybe the magic water is doing something. Only time will tell really. She also started zooming around her cage. Henry is not a zoomer, so at first I thought she was panicking over something, but she's been doing it more often and doesn't seem distraught. So maybe she's feeling slightly better. For two whole days her weight was up too! So I thought there might actually be weight gain occurring. But now she's back to her new-normal weight. And that's fine, but eh, I was hoping we could beef her up since each time she goes in for something, she drops a little bit.

But then again, I might just be seeing and hearing things and wishing for stuff that I want to happen and it's all in my head. But that's the update for now.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:46 pm

Hooray for zoomies! That could be a very good sign.

Did you think you'll put her back on Shilintong? Did your homeopathic person say anything about that? Have you decided if you'll go back to see her or not?

Glad to hear Henry is doing a little better. Keep it up, H-nug!