Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:43 am

What a great "mini-moon". :)

Happy Birthday, handsome Mortar!

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:53 pm

I have two girls born sept 11. Audrey turns 21 and Maïté turns 9 :) September seems to be a busy month for us piggy lovers;)

Acanoffleas

Post   » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:27 am

Holy moly it's been a while! Any my how much has happened since I last posted. I've been out of town for the past month doing my grooming academy training for Petsmart. I'm happy to report that it was actually a great experience - I learned a great deal and all in all groomed 18 dogs during my time there. I'm now back at my home store and starting the Field Training practice portion of certification, meaning I have to groom 100 dogs with my manager's supervision and approval before I'm considered certified. Yee ha.

Well, while I was at academy, I happened to hear about a guinea pig that had been at this Petsmart for not quite a year. They called him The Kahuna because he was so big and "well endowed." They had moved him into their back quiet room where he was by himself. I took one look at this boy and instantly fell for him. I called the husband and asked if we could somehow work out a way to take in yet another pig, and to my surprise he said yes. So he was adopted out to me, i.e. given to me for free, and I'm happy to report that he's happy, healthy, and loving life in a *real* home. His new name is Mason, and, yes, he's a big, big boy.

I met Mason on a Monday. I told Petsmart I wanted him on Tuesday. I took him home on Friday (I had class M-F and returned home on weekends). We put him in a temporary cage to adjust. On that Saturday I took him out and gave him free reign of the couch and boy...he was bucking and popcorning all over the place. He took well to the lettuce and veggies he was now getting, as well as the Oxbow pellets. He gets along pretty well with Bear and Mortar, but not so much Mo. I won't even attempt to let him meet Brick (what a bully that Brick is). Overall, he's incredibly sweet. It's fun watching him come out of his shell.

I'm so grateful that I was able to give him a home. I know everyone's opinion on pet stores, especially corporate ones, but I've come to realize that each Petsmart is run a bit differently from the next. I personally don't condone buying from pet stores, but I know that the animals in my home store are well looked after and whoever ends up purchasing them will be getting a healthy animal. The Petsmart I was at for academy gave me the same impression - Mason was moved to the back because he hadn't sold for a good while, and they received new pigs, who were babies and much smaller, and they didn't want them to fight (sigh). Every one of the employees knew about him- when word got out that I was adopting him, mostly everyone came up to me and thanked me. After that point, their pet care manager came to me with several questions on guinea pig care, and I'm happy to report that I wrote down Guinea Lynx's website for her, as well as Cavy Spirit and Guinea pig cages.com I honestly don't know if she'll use it, but I know at least she has it. Now I have to work on my home store's pet care manager...I enjoy working at "my" store because of the people there and because of our clients/pet parents. Oh, and definitely because I get to work with animals. The grooming thing is definitely a lot of work, but it's totally fun, too.

Anywho, here are more pictures of our new boy:
His second day home, pooped out after having run several laps around the couch

Bear and Mason sharing a pile of hay

And because this picture just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, here's Bear, smiling:
"I haz a new brother!"

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:44 pm

He's a cutie. And very lucky you took him home.

It's a shame older pigs are sometimes overlooked. I wish people realized what wonderful pets they make.

Tammy

Post   » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:47 pm

Hello Bear. "you are quite the handsome guy.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:50 pm

Mason is very handsome. :)

Topaz

Post   » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:53 pm

Aw, I love him. :) He looks so happy and snuggly on the couch.

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:59 am

Bear, you are just too cute!

Acanoffleas

Post   » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:47 am

The Wink and a Wheek gang say "thank you" for all your lovely comments!

Last night I worked on assembling one of two new C&C cages for Mortar and Mason. They've been in temporary housing while we scratched our heads trying to figure out where to put their cages. This was my first attempt at a "real" C&C cage (w/ coroplast), so...yeah. It was interesting. The cage turned out just fine, but me in my I've-worked-a-60+-hour-workweek coupled with lack of sleep kind of caught up with me, and I was less than personable. So one down, one more to go! Mortar seemed somewhat daunted by the sudden amount of space he now had, and he hid in his pigloo (instead of sitting on top of it, as usual) most of the evening. He was out and about this morning, though, which was a good sign. I moved Mason into Mortar's previous cage, as it was a bit bigger than what we had him in.

Tonight we're taking Mortar to my store for their Howl-o-ween costume and picture fest thing. Er, I shouldn't say Mortar. I should say Spider Pig:

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:41 am

a spider piggy?
héhéhéhé:) What a brat :)

Fossil Barb

Post   » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:53 am

The pigs are sooo cute but Spider Piggy is off to save the world. Judging from the spread of the front feeties the costume may not be too popular with its inhabitant?

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:05 am

OMG!!! You have to send that picture to Lynx for the torture page of the 2008 GL Calendar! Spidey Pig must be included!