Subcues for Dummies

dribble

Post   » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:24 pm

Mum, that glass of wine truly helps. :)

I gave subcues twice weekly for a long time, and the butterfly catheters were amazing! The vet ordered me a box of 50 cheaper than I could find elsewhere. One brand was definitely sharper than the other (can't remember which, though). With the dull brand there was a lot more pain. I too would warm the fluid in the syringe under warm tap water, or have it sit in the sunshine for a bit beforehand.

I think speed matters. If I was tentative it seemed to hurt longer. A quick jab seemed to hurt for less time. But regardless, I always got the "stink-eye of death" from my Maggie, so we would cuddle afterward. That also helped me see if she was leaking fluid. We would do the deed in a shallow Tupperware bin on the kitchen counter -- it had good light, was the right height, and had lots of places for me to sit my drink. :)

I don't recall ever seeing blood after a stick, but it has been a long time since I've done a subcue.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:24 pm

I have another fluid therapy question that isn't sub-q related, but I'm curious.

I found packets of Kool-Aid at the store this evening -- no sugar or artificial sweeteners added. The ingredients are: citric acid, malodextrin, calcium phosphate, ascorbic acid, and artificial flavor and coloring. One of the flavors (raspberry) has salt added, but the other two don't (the watermelon flavor, and the raspberry flavor).

Would these be safe to syringe as a hydration "treat" a couple of times a week? Any concerns with the malodextrin? Or salt?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:26 pm

You know, it may be all right, but I really hate to give such small animals anything even a bit iffy.

As a treat I'd pick something like Green Machine over that!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:32 pm

Well, I agree. What is Green Machine? Sounds intriguing!

Alibabble

Post   » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:02 pm

One more thing. Use a fresh needle for each poke/session. It makes a huge difference, I can feel the difference between a fresh needle and one that has been used so I assume that the piggie definitely can.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:05 pm

If you're using butterfly sets then you'll always use a new one.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:08 am

Yes, I use a separate 21g needle to draw out the fluids and a fresh needle/butterfly for every session. I also use a new syringe each time (probably not necessary, but I'm paranoid about contamination).

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:57 am

How do you know that you're getting the fluid warm enough? I never know how to gauge this. This morning when I gave Zachary his subcue, I had a smaller 12cc syringe and it warmed up relatively fast. I sprayed it onto my hand once and it didn't seem quite warm enough; ran it under the hot water for a few seconds longer and I thought it was okay. He seemed to do well with it, so I'm assuming it wasn't too hot or two cold

Is there a "rule of thumb" on how long to run it under hot water? (taking into account that not everybody's water is the same temp, of course!). Is it most guesswork? Does anybody have it down to a science?

My other question is, would 12cc's once a day be enough, rather than standard 15cc's? I really like the smaller syringe, but wasn't sure if this is considered "enough" Ringers or not. My vet has instructed me to give Zach subcues daily.

Oh, and -- for those of you who use infusion sets, do your guinea pigs ever manage to shake the needle OUT? I had major trouble with this w/ Sebastian, and want to figure out how to avoid it with Zachary.

Thanks.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:32 am

An alternative is to fill a glass or other container with water to a temperature 5 degrees over your temperature goal. Leave it there for 10 minutes. Check the temp. You may have to play around until you get the right temp. Submersion this way should help to equalize the temp throughout.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:39 am

I do as Lynx suggests. I fill up a measuring cup with very hot water and drop the syringe in that with the infusion set hanging over the edge.

I wait until it's 'baby bottle warm.'

I give 20ccs, and no more than 30, when I give subcues.

Yes, I've had a pig shake the needle out. I hold the needle in with one hand and keep the pig in a cuddle cup so movement is restricted.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:44 am

Wow...I feel like I probably overwhelmed poor Oreo; she was getting 40-60 ccs, although they really made a difference in how she felt.

I used to warm up the filled syringe (no needle) in the microwave for about 15 seconds, then shake to make sure the warm water was equally disbursed. Sometimes, I'd let it sit for another few minutes, if it needed to cool off. I assume this worked ok, because after the first time, she never fussed too much again (except when the needle was first inserted). There were a few occasions when she'd start to move around and the needle feel out. Like Mum, I tried to hold it in place with one hand.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:59 am

Thanks. I was trying not to hold the needle "in" too much, but I guess I'll have to start doing that.

Mum -- so, if you restrict mobility, what is the advantage of the infusion set for you? (I don't mean that to sound sarcastic in any way; just trying to figure out what way will work best for Zachary...butterfly or just a small gauge needle on a syringe).

Thanks again.