Should I worry? Lazy "rag doll" pig

poppypiggy

Post   » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:43 pm

I have e-mailed my vet, bt has not heard anything back yet.

Today I noticed something odd - Poppy's skin seems to be to large for her body! I suspect that is an indication of her beeing dehydrated. Has anybody seen this in a pig before?

As a precaution I have increased the water to about 50 - 60 ml today, and will get Poppy to the vet for a check-up on this tomorrow.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:15 pm

It may also be due weight loss from not eating enough. Hopefully your additional syringed water helps if it is dehydration. I imagine you're weighing her daily.

poppypiggy

Post   » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:26 am

I have been weighing her frequently, but not daily until now, as her weight has been 1250 - 1290 g for the last 9 months or more, and still was yesterday. I really can't figure how she is maintaining the weight, as she feels thinner, and I am quite sure the weight is reasonably accurate.

poppypiggy

Post   » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:10 am

Back from the vet - no dehydration! Puh! I was really worried! But the vet can't explain why Poppy's skin is so "loose" - "That's how they are!", she said. I have to scrutinize the other pigs tonight to find out if I am just so conserned about Poppy's health that I am seeing sympthoms that are not there!

The vet checked Poppy's gums to see if they were unnaturally pale, but they are nice and pink, so she is not likely to have anemia, and tried to draw a blood sample from her jugular (?) vein, but since Poppy screamed at the first little poke of the needle vet interrupted the prosedure without any blood. (I had agreed on her making one try.)

Poppy was weighted as well - same weight as last night, so my scale can't be wrong, at least.

The vet is not sure what to make of this, but says the two things she can think of is either kidney biopsy or a Cushings-test that has to be taken 3 times, each 24 hours apart. We have to wait two weeks for that, as I will be away next week.

I wish I knew what was the best thing to do here!

poppypiggy

Post   » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:05 pm

I need help to check doses - just back from an emergency call to the vet (it's just after 11 at night here right now) - when I was cleaning the cage I discovered Poppy's eye had a rupture, so I got her in immediately in.

We are now back with Fucithalmic (1%) ointment to be applied twice daily, Prednisolon 2,5 mg tablets to be given once daily and Baytril 15 mg tablets to be given once per day, I think.

I am a bit upset at the moment and would be very thankful if somebody could check if the the Prednisolon dose sounds right.

Is one tablet too much for her? Her kidneys are perhaps not very good, so I guess we have to take that into account, but I also don't want her to be in any pain. Does anybody know what the right dose is? She is 1300 g, by the way.

poppypiggy

Post   » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:24 pm

I guess I panicked, because when I read over the printout from the vet I found that she should have half a Prednisolon tablet (1,25 mg), not a whole one, so I gave her that now. I have separated her from her cage mates for now, and she eats her hay and seems fine except for the eye. Doesn’t look to be in any particular pain at the moment, but she must be – the eye looks bad. She is a though little girl, for sure!

But I can’t understand how she has got this infected eye – the vet said she must have had it for some time, but I am absolutely sure both her eyes were fine the day before yesterday because I weighted her and brushed her then. Yesterday I just petted her in her cage, so it is possible that the eye had ruptured then, but I don’t think so. I feel really guilty if she was in pain from yesterday and I didn’t discover it. Poor little thing!

She will go back to the vet first thing Monday morning to be operated, but I am not sure if her eye will be removed or if it can be saved. I hope she can keep the eye – she used to have the wisest look in her dark, beautiful eyes. She has always been my little thinker. Wish us luck on Monday!

Melody R

Post   » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:36 pm

What a scary thing to have happen!

Will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers!!!! Good luck on Monday!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:16 pm

Good luck and blessings for Monday.

The pred is a steroid and will help her feel considerably better.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:31 pm

I am sorry about the eye. Probably best to have them separated if there is some kind of ointment on the eye. The other pig might lick it off.

I suggest an xray to see what may be going on. I wish you the best.

poppypiggy

Post   » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:06 pm

Thanks you for thinking of us! Poppy has been relatively fine today. Her apetite has been resonabely good, and when we found some fresh gras for her she ate everything. I hope that is a good sign.

I still wonder how this could happen, but suspect there has been fighting, as Molley (her daughter) seems to be aspiring as alpha pig now, and she can be a bit agressive sometimes. She has mostly been after Pippi, but I have noticed that she has taken food out of Poppy's mouth lately, so she might try too bully her aswell.

Has anybody seen anything like this, or bitemarks in the face, around the eyes, etc.?

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:11 pm

Poor Poppy! I hope she's able to heal up fine. I wouldn't worry too much about her losing the eye. Several member have one-eyed or blind pigs and they do just fine. Abcess though, you can worry about.

Sid and Truff had a fight one morning. I think it was over a pepper. Truff was trying to assert her dominance and Sid wasn't having it. She bit his lip. Luckily, it healed up fine.

It was really swollen the first day, but went right down overnight.

poppypiggy

Post   » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:11 pm

Ouch! I am sure that did hurt poor Sid! (I am often reminded of him at work because we have a computerprogram called Mr.Sid!)

I'm almost conviced Molly was the one to hurt Poppy, as she has been a riot all afternoon, chasing and biting Pippi and being a nuicance to Mango. I had to separate them, so at the moment I have four pigs in three diffetent cages. I hope Molly will calm down, but I am not sure I will dare to put her back with the others. Sometimes I wonder if she is a bit psycotic or something!

Thank you for your reassurance, Bethie - I think Poppy will be fine, one way or the other, but I must admit I am a little bit worried, so some good thoughts form other piggiemums help for sure!