Pumpkin

pablosmummy

Post   » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:04 pm

Hello, can guinea pigs eat pumpkin? I've read about people giving canned pumpkin but my boyfriend has just carved a pumpkin for halloween and we were wondering if they could have any of the scooped out stuff..

Upinthehills

Post   » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:05 pm

I don't know about the pumpkin guts, but I know they can have the pieces of shell that have been carved out.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:50 pm

I think I heard they shouldn't have the scooped out stuff. Definitely not the seeds. They can have the carved out bits and good flesh like you would use for cooking yourself.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:53 pm

You should toast those seeds for yourself!

andrea240

Post   » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:29 pm

I just tried giving my girls some pumpkin tonight. I cut the little pumpkin in half and put it in their cage for a treat (with everything scooped out of course), but they wouldn't eat it. They nibbled on it once or twice, but they can't be bothered with it. Ugh. Maybe I will try again tomorrow.

Poor Baby Cuzko
My piggy made me give!

Post   » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:33 pm

Cuzko and Oaxaca have now fallen for pumpkin. I put a piece in the bottom of their veggie bowl and they emptied the other contents on the bottom of their cage to get to the pumpkin.

Ledasmom

Post   » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:51 pm

We just had our boys out with a biiiiiiiiiig pumpkin (it had been out in the rain, and the stem was soft - we figured scooping it now gave it a better chance of not pooing out before Halloween). We had some trouble getting Burglar out of the pumpkin. We had to turn it upside down and sort of slide him out, and he still had a piece of pumpkin stuck to his behind.

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:54 pm

And where are the pictures of the boys and this pumpkin?? Hmmmm?? We must have pictures!

Ledasmom

Post   » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:04 pm

Well, as soon as I stop being lazy and upload them there'll be pictures. 'Twon't be National Geographic quality, though, as I have a cheapish camera.
They made the most amazing zigzag pattern down the side of the thing. If only it were possible to let the pigs do all the carving (I am not capable of anything but the most simple patterns, and at that mine always look as if they should be in a public-service announcement for dental care), but I am afraid that would be an extreme excess of pumpkin.

Ledasmom

Post   » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:40 am

Incidentally, for those of you who might have a set of those plastic alphabet cookie cutters, they make great pumpkin-scrapers. I grabbed the Q and went to town on that big pumpkin and I had that thing scraped clean in five minutes.

JaneDoe

Post   » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:39 pm

What variety of pumpkin is suitable to give to piggies?

I see all kinds, from those about the size of an orange to those bigger than a small child.

Are those you see at grocery stores/roadside stands safe or are they sprayed, coated, otherwise treated?

Unibear

Post   » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:51 am

I to just tried giving rosie pumkin tonight, she took 2-3 bites and then left it alone. not sure if I should leave it in there over night or take it out.