Very puzzled

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:23 pm

That's exactly what I was thinking Talishan. I'd like to learn where he applies pressure without hurting her.

Since I'm a chicken about cutting her nails, her next trip in I'll find out.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:26 pm

Talishan, I encourage you to put up a page on "Gas" in the glxfiles. You have some good advice to offer (and I know you will clearly distinguish it from "Bloat" -- another page we need).

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:36 pm

I shall attempt this.

In the meantime: gas, bloat, ileus, stasis are all different conditions, though somewhat related. They have different signs and different treatments, though as I understand it some can lead to others.

Can those who really understand the differences post? Klynne, Josephine, those who have unfortunately had to work with these illnesses in different species. What characterizes each and where does one leave off and the other begin?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:48 pm

You're more than welcome to have a discussion thread to collect info and debate merits.

There is no doubt we really need this info available. Sometimes even a start can help (that's why we gave the glxfiles -- which are editable as you wish to add more detail or clarify).

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:51 pm

Ohhh, goody. Thank you for posting the info here as I have no doubt it will help me with the Bug.

Since I usually come to the forum section of GL and don't see a glxfile, where is it or am I just being dense again?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:54 pm

Look in the upper right corner. Under Guinea Lynx Medical and Care Guide logo, there are four buttons:

Profile FAQ GLX-Files Search

... and under that, log out.

Press "GLX-Files" and it will take you there.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:56 pm

Thank you! Yep, just being blind and dense-again.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:06 pm

It's not yet being pushed heavily because content is slow to come.

I recently transferred all the vet recommendations to the glxfiles though. They are separated by state and should be much easier to find and maintain now.

pinta

Post   » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:33 pm

You can't really rely on xrays to diagnose all heart issues. In fact if the xray gives an indication of a heat problem you are lucky. Sometimes you can't diagnose until the necropsy and tissues go out to the lab.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:32 pm

Ok Pinta, to be sure I understand-Lady Bugs x-rays and ultrasounds look like the x-ray earlier on this thread with no fluid around her heart and her heart taking up a reasonable amount of the cavity. BTW, she is 5 1/2 years old although I gather age has nothing to do with heart issues.

What you're saying is that great amounts of gas can be a symptom of heart issues? If so, I will certainly pursue this with her vet.

Thank you very much.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:36 pm

From my own experience, the majority of older pigs have heart issues.

If there's any doubt, a trial of lotensin is certainly worthwhile.

Many, many vets aren't familiar with a normal sized guinea pig heart.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:42 pm

Thank you Mum. I'l bet the Bugs doc isn't either. I'll have to go armed with info and put my foot down, remind him she's mine, then he may go with the lotesin.

To help in the arming process, is a lot of gas a common (or even remote) indicator of heart problems?