"Peanutbutter" Possible abuse/starvation

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:03 am

She's a beautiful little girl - thank goodness she's with you now.

When pigs come in here with visible signs of scurvy (this may or not be the case with your girl) I give them 100mg/kg for one week. Symptoms are usually gone by then. (I use NOW liquid vitamin C, which I buy over the internet).

A vet visit is always worthwhile.

WHEEKness

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:10 am

I give vit. C supplements in the form of children's chewable vitamins. Lots of people use them. It's not a controlled dose that way, but you don't need it to be exact. Find the 250 mg size, split a tab into 5 pieces, and there you go.

If she won't take it at first, wet it before you give it to her, so she can taste what it is you're trying to poke into her. You want nice sweet tabs, to make it more palatable. I actually use a 500 mg tab, because my pigs will dance for that particular brand. Dance, as in put on the tiny tap shoes I made for them, stand up on their hind legs, and DANCE. They sing, too. The brand is Trader Joes, but it's not a widespread chain.

It's good they gave hay. It will have kept her teeth ground down. Better to have hay and no pellets than pellets and no hay.

Can't believe they want the cage back. Hope they at least gave you the hay. Maybe they think you're getting an awfully good deal already, a free pig! Like the people that want to "donate" pigs to rescues, gratis.

WHEEKness

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:15 am

So one leg works, and the other doesn't. Hmm. I suppose you've felt along the leg for any funny spots? Maybe an old break? Do the toes on that foot look funny? They kind of do in the pics.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:17 am

InstantNoodles, if you have a good diagnostic vet, you certainly could learn something. I'm sure Josephine would recommend seeing a vet too.

I don't think of this as an emergency though.

Upinthehills

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:22 pm

How about Nadia for a name? It means hope in Russian.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:38 pm

I'm glad she is with you. I hope her condition improves but even if not she certainly has the will and desire to live. DON'T give that cage back! If you have no need for it-destroy it. If you give it back you are enabling them to abuse another creature. If they pushed, I'd tell them just what a horrible shape she is in and that it could be considered animal abuse. You could also say the vet bills alone will far outweigh the worth of their precious cage.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:48 pm

I like Nadia too.

She reminds me in some ways of Tiny Tim:

http://www.guineapigfun.com/tinytim/index.html

Interestingly enough, she doesn't seem to have hairloss and while I'm sure she's underweight, she doesn't look emaciated.

I think she has a very good chance of recovering at least part of her mobility, if not all of it, with your care. Bless you and thank you for taking her.

If you can afford an x-ray, I suspect it will tell you quite a lot.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:04 pm

Nadia reminds me a little of zooey's Gouldian Finch, Nadia Dedyut. I think she looks like a Polly :-)

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:18 pm

She is such a pretty girl, and so fortunate to be in a loving and caring home now. I'm sure she will Blossom now. :)

I wish her (and you) the best!

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:34 pm

What a cutie girl. It's so good of you two to take her in. I'm sure she'll have a good life now even if she doesn't fully recover.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:45 pm

Ooh I sense a subliminal suggestion in tracis's post. If you ever got her a friend you could name her "Six." (Joke) Woah!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:49 pm

She'll Polly start feeling better any day now, what with a new name and new slaves.