Silky's very bad vet/health report

Piggywig

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:03 am

Hi everyone, thanks for thinking of us! We went to my Mom's, the pigs Grandma's for a visit. While we were there we went to the vet, and the report was pretty okay. Cuteness first, though... Silky and her young hunky neighbor, Moose.

Where's the treats? Is the silver flashing thing a treat?

Silky's weight was up to 752g, which is better than before. It could be extra water and stuff, but still, it sounds good. I've been feeding her more, she can use it! She had had flakes around one eye, so I was worried, but he said her eyes looked great, he thought maybe she needed more C in her diet, he examined a piece of flake and saw nothing there. I've noticed her leg is better to the point that she can sit back and wash herself again, and her eyes are clean again.

She has some skin flakes, he did take a flake and hair sample, and saw nothing, but we treated both piggies with revolution again, just in case. They've never had critters, but it never hurts to be sure.

We discussed the medication for her heart and kidneys, and after some discussion, thought it might be best not to try it. Her heart beat was twice as fast as Moose's. Moose's was much louder. Moose has gone from 1166g to 1312g. Moose is getting pudgy. Moose takes after his Mom.

I thought I would update you all. I will be a sad piggie mom tomorrow night, because I will be leaving them again, and this time they can't come with me. But I know they will be in good hands. But I'm going to miss them!

JaneDoe

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:14 am

They're pretty, Piggywig. Glad Silky's doing better.

Pigginess
You are my sunshine

Post   » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:36 am

Thanks for the update Piggywig. She looks so happy. Who wouldn't be with a totally devoted piggie mom and hunky Moose nearby.

Good luck on your trip.

Pigginess
You are my sunshine

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:46 am

Piggywig are you back from your trip. What is the latest update? Caring minds want to know!

Fossil Barb

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:25 pm

Keeping Silky and all of you in my thoughts. Hope her news gets better and she has lots more time with you.

Piggywig

Post   » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:18 am

Thank you so much for remembering us. I'm afraid the end is getting pretty close. Silky is getting much less active, even though she is really able to use her leg much better. She stays in her houses much of the time.

Both last night and tonight she passed scary substances. One was a large area of reddish brown liquid that had dried by the time I saw it on her fleece in her house, and the one tonight is a reddish brown jelly. I think it is from the cancer and the enlarged colon and cecum. This is what really has me worried. I doubt a trip to the vet is going to do us any good at this point, really.

She is still perky once the food or medicine comes around, thank goodness. She's still eating. She does not make any pain noises, but she is still on her pain medicine -- I mean, with her diagnosis-- two possible cancers, a bad leg, digestive problems, cysts, pre-renal problems-- I figure -something- has got to hurt. I hope she makes it until the fancy hay I bought gets here! I got the third cut and bluegrass and I know she will love it.

And of course the holidays are coming up, so there are all of the decisions about travel, and housing, and it just worries me. I've been trying to prepare myself for her loss since I got the bad report in September, but I know it will be difficult, since she is just such a perfect angel. But who thought we'd make it this far?

Please do continue to remember us...

Blessings,
Bethany, Silky, and Moose

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:22 am

More hugs for all of you.

I hope Silky has content and pain-free days until it is her time to go. She is such a lovely girl.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:07 am

Hugs to you all. It's so sad waiting for the end. All the best, Silky. Glad to hear you're still perking.

Pigginess
You are my sunshine

Post   » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:48 am

Thanks for the update. You will all be in my thoughts and prayers.

rpaws

Post   » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:00 am

Silky, you know if love and care were enough, you would be here safe happy and healthy forever. May you still be blessed with good, pain free days here filled with love and good food.

Piggywig

Post   » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:33 pm

It is with a great deal of sadness and even more shame that I am writing this. I started this topic so long ago about my sweet girl Silky, and her myriad of health issues. You all were so kind to me, giving me support as Silky and I faced the inevitable. You supported me from September to November, and I gave you updates, and then I just -- stopped. And I am so sorry.

I can't excuse my behavior, but one of the reasons behind it is that I have major depressive disorder, and sometimes it keeps me from doing the things that I should do. Silky's death was really hard to take and I stayed really low about it for a long time. I know quite a few people who sent me kind messages while she was sick are probably no longer here -- but I still want to tell those of you who cared Silky's story.

One night in early December 2007 I came home from a friend's house to find Silky struggling hard to breathe and unable to move. The time had come for us.

I called my vet (who still took emergency calls back then) and we met at the clinic. He took us in the back and turned on some gas to make Silky woozy so she wouldn't notice the bad shot that was coming. He left us to go prepare the shot. The gas mask was little, but still too big for Silky, so I held it up to her nose and mouth.

I put my face close to hers, my cheek against her side, the way that you do, especially in those last few minutes, telling her all the things she needed to know from my heart. As we waited, I began to feel more relaxed about things. The vet came in and quickly told me to be careful and not breathe the gas. Which I had been doing, and accidentally getting high with Silky. So that was kind of funny later, when I thought about it.

And then all the bad things happened. My vet offered to take Silky home and bury next to her original bonded partner, Sooty, who he had buried for me under a tree on his land. I thought that it was a very sweet idea and such a wonderful thing to do. He is a wonderful vet and a kind man.

I went home without Silky.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:54 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope in time the good memories replace the hurt and sadness. I am sure Silky somehow knew she was loved and you were doing your best for her.