Pelletless pellet??

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:56 pm

OK, I have been working with a nutritionist about a new idea I had, and would LOVE some feedback on it.

I know there are alot of you out there that are either feeding a pelletless diet, or would LIKE to feed a pelletless diet but worry about the vitamins and minerals and specific nutrients that a pelletless diet may lack.

So I was thinking of making a pellet that would contain very little hay, but some to bind it and make it palatable, but would provide all the necessary nutrients for your pigs.

I think the research bears out that alot of teeth issues and also some digestive issues are related to the fact that pigs tend to eat more pellets, get full on those, and don't eat enough long fiber hay.

So I am trying to come up with a "pellet" (just the size and shape) but they would only contain the necessary nutrients and all natural ingredients for those of you who are pelletless or want to go pelletless.

I always wanted to stop the pellets with my herd, but I was afraid that I would be unable to calculate how much of each veggie each pig would need. Also, in a herd environment, it is nearly impossible to tell who is eating what! So I was worried that Buttercup would not get enough C, and Seemee would not get enough phosphorus, etc.

Is there any interest out there for something like this?? It would not be cheap, but most things worthwhile are not.

I need feedback to see if it is worth pursuing. Thank you! :)

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:30 pm

Sure, I'd be willing to try some. My feeling is that the main source for Bug's diet is hay (which she eats LOTS of) and her veggies. I would have no problem as long as I knew she was getting what she needed as a supplement.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:32 pm

Yes, I would be interested! Particularly for Sebastian, my "stone" pig.

Lovemypig

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:37 pm

Like Sef, I have a stone pig. I would be interested!

lisam

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:56 pm

I think it's a wonderful idea.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:15 pm

I think it's a terrific idea too.

But as I have mainly seniors (5+ years) with health problems I don't think I'd be able to try it. If I had a cage of younger pigs, though I'd definitely go for it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:16 pm

So, kind of a daily vitamin pill for each pig? That would be cool! Combine it with KM hay and fresh vegs and fruits and the pigs would be happy!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:01 pm

That is a very interesting idea.

Piggster

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:37 pm

I would definately be interested! Kyla would probably really benefit from a pelletless pellet due to her cystitis.

Allysse

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:12 pm

Yes please pursue it!

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:14 pm

Would this be feed like pellets unlimited access?

Misadventure

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:01 pm

I have a pellet question: is an alfalfa-less pellet like Oxbow's Cavy Cuisine okay for a stoney pig as long as he's eating plenty of hay too?