Pelletless pellet??

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:19 pm

dgarriques, no, it would not be fed that way. It would be probably a once or twice a week feeding, with very few pellets needed.
It would basically be for peace of mind that the pigs were getting additional nutrients that may be missed by produce and hay feeding alone.
It's impossible to tell with so much of our produce coming from different countries how it has been farmed. If alot of the produce is coming from areas where the soil is poor (even in the US) then the standards for nutrients could be low or lacking completely.
I am still working out the logistics, and not sure it would even be possible to get a mill to make small batches like I would need.
Unlike regular pellets, you would obviously never need a 50 lbs bag and so 1-5 lbs would be more likely.

Misadventure, Cavy Cuisine is a good choice for a stone pig. Pellets made from timothy hay have a lower protein content that alfalfa pellets.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:38 pm

I love the idea -- a sort of nutritional supplement. I can see a benefit for ill pigs, too.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:40 pm

I would be concerned the pigs won't like it.

MuffinFace

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:01 pm

The answer to this is probably REALLY obvious, but what's the difference between this and, say, feeding them Critical Care once and a while on an otherwise almost pellet-free diet? Is there too much protein/calcium/hay in CC?

Other than that, I LOVE the idea - I would jump right on that. I think that palatability might be an issue, but if you can get past that, I think it would be terrific.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:54 pm

Seems you could just as easily use molasses as flavoring, same as with the pellets-?

Or whatever they flavor Metacam with! I've never had a guinea pig (or hamster) who didn't like the taste of Metacam.

-ly-

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:27 pm

I've been wanting to put my girls on a HAFF diet for a long time but am always afraid they won't get what they need from their pellets. This idea sounds great and I am very interested in it.

twofinepigs

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:40 pm

I would love to try something of that nature. Could it be manufactured so that the shelf life would be reasonable, since you would feed in small quantity? (I know you wouldn't be buying a 5 lb sack, but rumor says the Vit C in pellets is quite unstable, for instance.)

Jennicat

Post   » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:36 am

Agree, sef, every animal in the house I've given it to always loved it.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:23 am

Metacam smells like stinkyfeet to me!

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:50 am

I am just not sure I see the advantage. Maybe it is just me. But the pellets are made from Hay and we want them to eat Hay. My girls eat Hay and Pellets and have both all the time.

I understand if it is a medical issue but not sure on healthy pigs why the advantage of pelletless feeding. I must just not be getting something here. Please enlighten me!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:46 am

Ground hay in pellets and long-strand hay are different for the teeth. So the pellet isn't grinding down the teeth they way teeth need to be ground down.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:29 am

Also, you may or may not want to feed the other things to your pig. With fat pigs, the oats (which are fine but perhaps more fattening) would not be part of their diet.

Possible that feeding a mix of hays would also be wise to diversify nutrients (orchard grass and timothy).