Should I worry? Lazy "rag doll" pig

poppypiggy

Post   » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:38 pm

Back from the vet, and all well I think. I am pretty sure the vet did a good and thorough job, but he could not guarantee the eye can be saved as the infection was severe and parts of the cornea had to be removed. He cleaned everything out and hopefully the ABs and Poppy's immune system will do the rest to heal her up. Otherwise the eye will have to be removed. I hope for the best.

I am still a nervous wreck, as she is still sleeping, over four hours after the operation was finsihed. She was anaesthetized with something called Ketalar and Ceptor, and vet looked dose, so I think it was right. But it is normal that a pig will sleep for more than 5 hours?

Her heartbeats seem fine to me, but I am still so nervous something is not right. Can somebody assure me it is normal?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:31 pm

Was she awake before she came home? (I'm assuming she came around after the surgery).

I find pigs are drowsy after anesthesia, but sleeping for 5 hours straight isn't something I've seen before.

Can you wake her up?

poppypiggy

Post   » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:59 pm

No, she has not been awake at all after the suregry. I have seen som little movement around her mouth, but that is all.

When I called the vet some hours ago and asked when she would wake up he said late tonight or tomorrow. I am so worried!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:03 pm

Do these anesthetics depress the system? I would have thought the vet would wait until she was alert to release her. I think I would be concerned also and would call the vet.

I am sorry I'm unfamiliar with these drugs and can't comment on them.

poppypiggy

Post   » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:07 pm

I don't know if the system is getting depressed or not - the vet said this was the only option since he was working on her eye. He would otherwise have used isoflurane or similar.

ETA: How will I kow her system is depressed?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:17 pm

Sometimes you do need a local anesthetic. From my understanding, the most important thing is to choose one that does not depress respiration.

If you have concerns about what you should expect and what is normal, I would still call your vet.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:21 pm

I'm really surprised he released her without waking her up.

I would most definitely call him - are you still not able to wake her?

I would be concerned about her not getting IV fluids or glucose if she's sleeping that long.

poppypiggy

Post   » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:46 pm

I called the vet - he said it sounded normal, but suggested I tried to put a drop of water on her tongue to see if she would swallow. When I did that she tried to rise her head, and now she is sitting up. Very, very sleepy, but she has swallowed a little amount of water. I will forcourse be up with her all nigt and feed her critical care when she is more awake. I am still conserned, but hope for a good outcome.

Thank you so much for your encoragement, Mum and Lynx! It mean a lot!

poppypiggy

Post   » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:18 pm

Poppy is more awake now, but still very drowsy. I have managed to get a few ml of water and critical care into her, as well as her medicines (Baytril, Prednisolon and then a drop of Atropine directly into the eye). She has also eaten a cherry tomato divided in tiny pieces, a few tiny bits of lettuce and perhaps five pellets.

She is falling asleep all the time, but when she wakes up she slowly continues to eat.

Her breathing is audible, but I don't think its laboured. An hour ago about three drops of pink liquid came our of her nose, but I assume that is originating from her eye. At least that is what I hope!

I will give her some "poopsoup" mixed with acidophilus (from my Cavy Kit!) and some more CC before I try to get me some sleep.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:48 pm

It sounds like you are on the road to recovery. I hope she is quite perky tomorrow.

poppypiggy

Post   » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:18 am

Thank you, Lynx!
I am up just to check on her, and she seems to be much better! When I left her she had produced two perfect poops, now four hours later there are a lot of them all over her cage! She slept when I came into the kitchen, but is eating some lettuc now. I am so relived!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:56 am

I hope Poppy continues to do well. She is so lucky to have you caring for her.