Questions about my new paralyzed piggy...

applebreeze

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:02 pm

My sister works at a vet's office and she brought home Annebelle (Annie) last night. Annie's owners had come in to have her PTS because she was paralyzed (my sister says the people's kids did it somehow, dropped her I think, but I'll get the full stroy later). My sister brought her home because she knew that this piggy deserved to live. Annie still eats and drinks willing, plus she moves around and doesn't seem like anything is bothering her. But I have a few questions. Has anyone ever dealt with anything like this? Is there anything I can do to stimulate her back legs? Oh, and she's not completely paralyzed either-she may not use her hind legs to walk, but if you play with them a bit while you're holding her she can move them around a little. Is there a chance of her getting sores from dragging her legs around? Even if she's on fleece? This one doesn't have anything to do with her being paralyzed, but she's never had any veggies/fruits. Should I ween her on to them slowly? Starting with a little bit and getting up to the full amt. she's supposed to have eventually? And her back feet are a bit cold at times too-I have a sock filled with rice that I heat up and put in her cage and lay her next to-it warms up her back feet. But, is this okay/normal (for her feet to be cold)? I'm pretty sure that's all my questions, but if I think of anymore later, I'll post them. Thanks in advance! Oh, and here's a picture of my sweet Annie! (Oh, and I'm not quite sure of her age-I'll have to ask my sister again)

Oh! One more thing. Last night and this morning my sister had to push on her tummy a bit to make her go to the bathroom-a lot came out apparently-but I'm pretty confident that Annie's going on her own now!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:09 pm

Bless you and your sister both for helping Annie.

Start here:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41676

There are other paralysis recovery stories and methods on this board, but this is a recent one and has much in common with yours.

Offer her fruits and vegetables slowly, yes. Soft stool is something you don't need to deal with right now, especially.

The cold feet and needing a little help to defecate I can't address, but hopefully one of the med pros will see this shortly.

Again, thank you both for helping her.

smiley
Just Do It

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:22 pm

What a sweet girl. You are doing a great job helping her. Good luck with her.

applebreeze

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:30 pm

Thank you guys so much! And thanks for the link Talishan! I will definitely look at it!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:31 pm

Use the search feature in the upper-right-hand corner of the screen for more. Search for 'paralysis' and 'Roxy Roller'.

The chances are actually fairly good that she can regain at least partial use of her legs. Ask your sister if the people that brought her in said anything about how long ago she became paralyzed.

Here's another one:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37106

Topaz

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:38 pm

My first impression upon seeing the picture was that the paralysis must have happened a while back. Her back end looks so much smaller and muscle-wasted to me. I would think chances of regaining use would be slimmer if this is the case.

These are only thoughts of mine. I have no experience with paralysis in pigs. I hope I'm wrong and that the sweet girl just needs time to heal.

I'm so glad she's with you now.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:41 pm

Topaz, I thought the same thing, but it may be the angle of the photograph that makes her back end look like that. I'm hoping so, anyway.

applebreeze

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:47 pm

I'm not sure how long ago she was paralyzed but I'll see if my sister knows. And her back end is pretty limp. But if you hold her up and mess with her legs she can move them. And thanks for the second link! I just gave her her first piece of lettuce too and she loved it!

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:19 pm

Good luck with her. She's blessed to have come to you!

applebreeze

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:28 pm

Thanks Amy!!!

amy m guinea

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:33 pm

She is really a lucky sweet girl.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:43 pm

Thank you for taking her applebreeze.
I hope she will be as comfortable and healthy as she can be under your care.
Best of luck, and please keep us posted.