Questions about my new paralyzed piggy...

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:35 pm

Read about the Roxy Roller and water therapy, too. Using techniques like these might can help her regain at least some of her mobility.

Keep us posted.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:37 pm

I would definitely try to get an X-ray and see what might be going on and if steroid or metacam therapy might help. Also the Roxy Roller and water therapy. It sounds like she's in good spirits and will improve if you can figure out the right therapies to help her.

cat22woman

Post   » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:51 pm

You are a wonderful person for taking her in! Annie is very lucky that your sister saved her and that you are dedicated to helping her. Thank you so much and good luck!

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:56 am

I have no advice but just wanted to say how wonderful I think it is that you and your sister saved her. Annie is a very lucky girl! I hope you can find some therapy that helps her.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:00 am

You and your sister are so kind for saving Annie. Even is she doesn't regain the use of her legs, I'm sure she'll have a great life with you. I have no medical advice, but my boys often have cold feet. They're still nice and pink, but they feel cold. I think the 'bed buddy' is a good idea as long as it doesn't make her too warm.

Do please keep us posted. She is a real cutie.

applebreeze

Post   » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:36 am

Thanks again guys!

I asked my sister how long ago she was paralyzed and she said it happened a month ago-she also lost the control of her legs one at a time.

This morning she had her first bath! We've figured out that if you scratch her tummy, she'll move one of her legs at a time like dogs do when you scratch them in a good spot-she can do thi with both of them.

poppypiggy

Post   » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:59 am

On Peter Gurney's homepage there is a description of Swimming therapy. Sounds like your little cute Annie could benefit from that if you just take it very easy and teach her to like the water - on step at the time!

http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/swimming.htm

I hope she can regain some use of her legs!

Joannt
Wheekness for Pigs

Post   » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:15 pm

What a lucky piggy to have found you. Good luck and I hope Annabelle is able to recover a bit of her function with you guys. I think it sounds positive that she has some movement with certain kinds of stimulation.

Give her an extra special scruffle from us.

klynne

Post   » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:44 pm

Bless you for helping this little pig girl.

Ditto to what has already been mentioned, on checking into steroid therapy and physical therapy to help her get what use she can, back.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:58 am

And perhaps calcium might help.

poppypiggy

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:15 am

Ditto salana - ther is a link to Peter Gurneys site on that, too:

http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/paral.htm

roxdus

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:56 pm

We had a paralyzed piggie--Bacon. She lived for 4 years after her stroke and moved around just fine with only her front paws. Based upon my limited knowledge, her hind legs were always cold. My father is also paralyzed and his paralyzed arm is always colder as well--so I think it's just the lack off circulation. I would exercise Bacon's paws. Once a week I would put her in the tub in warm water and move them around in there. What amazed me even more, is that her roommate, Porkchop, would help to take care of her. In her final weeks, the other piggie would bring her treats, and veggies, since I think Bacon suffered another stroke and just couldn't get around anymore. But for those 4 years, she was just as happy as could be. She played with the other piggies and would really enjoy the trips to the backyard to munch on grass. Again, taking care of my paralyzed dad, I know that if I don't exercise his paralyzed side, it will start to hurt. I'm assuming the same is true for animals.