SnakShak ok for cavies to eat?

MauvaiseFoi

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:13 pm

We just got a Snak Shak for our 2 young female cavies. They are both about 6 weeks old. We needed another hiding place for them and we thought this was cute and a very nice size, as well as chewable. I'm less excited about the edible feature, since I don't know if it will be unhealthy or not.

Here's the stats:

Ingredients: pine wood shavings, cassava starch, alfalfa, straw liquid mix (water, sodium alginate, potassium sorbate, propionic acid, honey, glycerin, propylene glycol), cotton thread, bamboo, straw, paper cord.

Crude Protein = 1.6%
Crude Fat = 0.5%
Crude Fiber = 40%
Moisture = 10%

The product is marketed as "for Guinea Pigs & Rabbits," which isn't completely reassuring since I know cavies and rabbits have quite different diets. I'm also not 100% confident in the listed stats, since they weren't species-particular.

ideas???

(I tried to find information on this all over, so I'm sorry if there's an obvious answer in an obvious place.)

outfoxed98

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:32 pm

I have one of these. To be honest my pigs gnaw on it a little, but as for it being edible I think they prefer their nice fresh green veggies.

I shouldn't worry too much unless they really start chomping down it. Mine are all fine and to be honest after a couple of nibbles they seemed to loose interest!

Just can't compete with basil and romaine I guess!

ChrisSonn

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:44 pm

i bought my cavies the snak shack log thingy. they loved running through it and poking their heads through the top hole. as for eating it, they gnawed on it a little and then forgot about it. my gerbils and mice chow down on it, but i have yet to meet a cavy who actually eats the darn things.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:47 pm

There are a few threads on it already. It's rather expensive for a hidey house. If they don't eat too much, it isn't that bad but the ingredients are not that great for either rabbits or pigs.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:48 pm

Could you or anyone else post a picture? Is this the sort of brown hut with the straw roof thing? I know I've heard those are a no-no.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:49 pm

Yes, that's it.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:52 pm

My worry about that is that the top can lead to an eye injury, but I've haven't been here long enough to see anyone posting that happening.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:00 pm

Made with fresh alfalfa and golden honey, this unique 3-in-1 home provides a fun hide away, a great tasting treat, and promotes small pets' natural chewing instinct. Has a natural wood look and handmade thatched roof.

Alfalfa and honey isn't the best thing for most guinea pigs to have.

Kermie831

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:12 pm

pine wood shavings = sawdust

ICK!

rshevin

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:22 pm

I don't know that I'd even want to recommend these for hamsters/gerbils. I"m not sure what their dietary needs are but sawdust and sugar don't seem healthy for any animal. I've heard they get REALLY nasty if they get peed on.

ChrisSonn

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:30 pm

The comment about pee/wetness is true--I tried to wash my Snak Shak log and it became a slimy mess. These probably are best left to the store shelves.

There are definitely better toys out there for hamsters and gerbils. After giving it some thought (and reading about the sawdust!) I'm not going to buy them any more of these products.

rshevin

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:20 pm

The wee rodents just love the ever available toilet paper roll. The price is right too! ;)