SnakShak ok for cavies to eat?

Melody R

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:35 pm

My bird club advised us that there is actually something unhealthy (lead or some other nasty in the glue) in TP rolls and that we should NOT be using them as toys. Apparently alot of pets are testing positive for lead lately and everyone is trying to track down the source - it's not the metal on the toys or paint or anything. Believe me these people are as crazy as we are with health issues.

Is this just a rumor or is there really a toxicity problem with the TP rolls???????

rshevin

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:12 pm

It sounds like just that, hype, to me. I don't recommend TP tubes as a dietary source but if your pig is nibbling on them, throwing them about, and using them as toys, I think there's no harm. I think we're realizing now there's a lot more lead in our environment than we want to believe.

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:12 pm

I would not tend to believe that the hut is something harmful if given once a year let's say. Maybe it is more the frequency than the treat itself?

momof911kids
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:08 pm

I would NOT give the snack shak to gerbils or hamsters. Gerbils and dwarf hamsters are prone to diabetes. Syrian hamsters aren't as prone to developing diabetes but I would still avoid giving them the snack shak. Excessively sugary treats like the snack shak or treat bars should be avoided as well as anything with honey or molasses.

There are lots of healthy treats you can give gerbils and hamsters like small bits of fruits, veggies, plain yogurt, cheese, egg, etc. These "treats" are much more healthy for a gerbil or hamster and round out their diet.