For the love of Pete! Ozzy's med thread

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:52 am

Hope the little guy is ok. Keeping you and Ozzy in my thoughts and sending well wishes your way.

crazycheryl

Post   » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:00 pm

Sending love and smoochies to Ozzy.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:21 pm

Did she do an x-ray, or are you going to just go with the AB first for now and see if it resolves completely before doing an x-ray?

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:28 am

We are going to wait on the x-ray. I'll discuss it with her when we go back on the 4th. Especially if he is still tender.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:29 am

Ok. There is bright red on his towels now. I can't wait till the 4th.

I am going to call right now but let me ask, how old would be too old for stone surgery, if that is what the problem is?

I guesstimate Ozzy to be around 5-6. I have had him for just over 3 years and he was probably 2-3 when I got him. His toenails were pretty thick. But he was in a horrible situation too so maybe he looked older than he was. I have no idea.

I just want to be prepared when I go in to the vet. I am so scared I won't be able to deal with his diagnosis. I don't want to put him through surgery and have him die anyway (from the surgery).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:11 am

It's a hard circumstance to be in. With an xray you will at least know what is going on. Get antibiotics and pain killers (bactrim and meloxicam) to make him comfortable and clear up any infection. Increase fluids. I imagine you've read the uti and stones pages.

If he is in general good health, surgery might work well though there are always risks.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:44 pm

Ditto Lynx on all counts. Overall health and condition, to me, is the first criterion; age the second.

I'm remembering the wonderful job Dr. A. did on Navin R.'s surgery and am hoping the best for Oz.

crazycheryl

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:04 pm

Good luck - keeping fingers and toes crossed for Ozzy.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:38 pm

WEll, luckily Ozzy is in good health other than this issue, so surgery, if it's called for, could be an option.

I am still waiting to hear back from the vet. I had to drop him off so they could do x-rays and collect a urine sample.

I am hoping she will call soon. I know she's busy and will probably not have had time to look at everything until after her last patient tonight.

I miss my Ozzy boy. Mr. Piggy seems unfazed. Probably because he was a lone pig for so long.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:38 pm

Sending Get Well Wishes to Ozzy!

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:04 pm

It's a stone. Boo. Dr. A said it's about the size of a pea. Boo.

She is going to consult with another vet to talk about his age and type of anesthsia. She uses one kind (iso-something or other) and she wants to make sure it would be ok for his age. If the other type (something newer - starts with a c) would be better I'd have to take him to a Dr. Hadley near Conyers.

She will call me tomorrow with more info. Meanwhile I will pick him up after work. Poor baby. I feel so bad he's in the vets office all night.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:17 pm

I understand not wanting to leave him at the vet's office. I always feel like home is the place for us all and all our pets.

I hope the surgery goes well. On occasion a guinea pig has passed the stone before surgery. I think this happened to Swannie and someone else.