Cage Safety Check Time! - Tragic Story

Elly

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:58 am

I wrote this post over on GPC. I'm crossposting it here as well.

A tragic event today led me to want to request of all members to do regular safety checks of their cages. Please take the time after you read this story to do a thorough check of your cage. Check all connectors and zip ties to insure they are properly installed and still tight and functional. Check the stability and connections of second floors and any supports you may use. Check the lid (if you use one) to make certain it is safely held in place and well braced.

Today a friend of mine, whom I placed two rescued Guinea pigs with, suffered a tragic lose. Somehow the lid of her C&C cage (made of wire shelving) came loose and fell into the cage. It apparently struck one of the guinea pigs. We are unsure if the head or neck was struck but shortly after the lid fell her daughter saw the pig lying in the cage having seizures and breathing erratically. When she lifted her GP from the cage she saw blood coming from her nose and mouth. She rushed her quickly to a vet (while frantically explaining what happened to me on the phone at the same time). Unfortunately, even though she acted quickly, there was nothing the vet could do. The poor little girl's legs were already going cold and her breathing was stopping with only the occasional gasp for breath. The vet quickly euthanized her to save her from any further misery. It was a tragic accident and not one that she could have foreseen. She and her children are devastated (especially her little girl).

The only way to have avoided this tragedy would have been to closely inspect the lid connections. Over time connectors and zipties can fail. Please take the time to inspect and replace ones used on your cages. I would hate for this to happen to anyone else.

PaisCashGingGang

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:00 am

So sorry for that family's tragic loss.

Thank you for posting to help others.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:13 am

I am so sorry for their loss, it is absolutely heartbreaking.
i can't imagine the panic they must have been feeling when the accident struck, the heaviness of guilt and pain they are feeling now...

Thank you very much for posting about this, I would never think of doing a check like this, I will always remember to do a quick run through of the entire cage when I do their weekly scrub down.

Again, I am so sorry for your friends' loss, and please send them our most sincere condolences.

JaneDoe

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:20 am

I'm sorry for your friend's loss, Elly.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:26 am

I'm so sorry this occurred. Would you mind if I sent this out on the listserve of the rescue I foster for? Thank you for posting this.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:47 am

Oh, how awful! The poor piggy and her family. I've never gone two stories because I'm not confident in my structural abilities. Hopefully this tragedy will help keep it from happening to anyone else.

Teresa

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:22 am

I wanted to add this as well:

I think it's important that people realize that when they are building multiple levels or ramps or upper decks that they cannot rely on one or two zip ties as hinges or connections. Also, not all zip ties are alike. They come in various thicknesses and therefore strengths. It's important to double, triple and even quadruple the connections that you make with zip ties. For example, if you use zip ties as a hinge for a ramp or upper deck, especially with the heavy wire shelving, you should use not just two zip ties, but more like six or more. And please use the heavier, thicker zip ties.

If you are going to cross-post the story, please also cross-post this part.

Thanks,
Teresa

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:03 am

How tragic and heartbreaking. I am so sorry for their loss, and for yours Elly. That poor little girl, my heart goes out to her. Thank you so much for posting this reminder. I think we all take for granted that these great cages we build are sturdy and safe and sometimes forget that they were actually made for a different pupose than the one we use them for. Like Momo, I will be checking my cage periodically as well.

Please give that family a huge hug from all of us.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:19 am

That poor family. Elly, thank you for reminding us to do the safety checks. Just as we'd do with our own houses, periodic maintenance is required.

As I clean I too will be checking the zip ties and sturdiness.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:54 am

I'm so very sorry about what happened. Such an unfortunate accident.

I always makes sure I check the cage especially since I added Mr Fozzy's cage to the top of Ace and Listers. I check all of the connections and make sure to put a bit of weight on the bottom to make sure the connections under the coroplast are still holding ok.

I don't have any idea how effective this is, but it gives me peace of mind. I make sure there is a sturdy hidey house under the corner of Mr Fozzy's level in the lower cage. I'd like to think that if Mr Fozzy's cage did ever collapse it would land on the hidey house and not on a piggie

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:05 am

Elly thank you for the good tip. I am so sorry for your friends loss. How sad.

Jennicat

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:10 am

Whenever we use wire shelving as a lid, we make sure that it's at least 2-3 inches longer than the cage itself, so that as long as the cage walls are holding, the lid cannot fit down into the cage itself.