WalterP's Front Teeth Look Bad

Athena
Notorious P.I.G.

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:45 pm

WalterP is Six years old. My son noticed his teeth like this last night. We think he is eating normally. He eats veggies when we put them in. He has not lost weight.

(My son's fingers are stained from black food coloring--we just decorated cookies.)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:16 pm

I would start weighing your pig regularly (maybe even once a day if you are concerned) and keep on eye on the tooth. It may have been broken and grew back poorly and may need a while before it resolves to a normal color.

Look for any swelling or odor that might indicate an active infection (and a required vet visit). An xray would certainly give you more info. I take it I can add this pic to the board?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:43 pm

We have two with something very similar, and both are in the +- 4 1/2 -- 5 year range.

As Lynx mentions, watch his weight. Watch to see if it grows out normally, or continues to grow funky. In my experience if his weight stays stable and there's no evidence of infection, it's not a problem.

We suspect both of ours have suffered root damage from ... we don't know what (they have never been dropped), but suspect overactive bar chewing. Yet our other bar chewers haven't shown this.

Age? Genetic? Don't know.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:51 pm

If I remember correctly, one of the pigs adopted from me lost a bottom incisor. It grew back funky and yellow like that, then fell out and never returned. She did fine with the three teeth.

Poor Walter. Give him a smooch for me.

GetShelly
I give

Post   » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:08 pm

Is it me or do the bottom teeth look long?

Athena
Notorious P.I.G.

Post   » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:36 pm

The do look long, maybe to fill in the space because the tops are short? His weight is staying the same and no foul odor.

Yes, Lynx, you can use the picture.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:47 am

Thanks!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:51 pm

Yup. The bottom incisors look long, the top right is slanted, and the bottoms are slanted in a V shape.

Having said all that: if weight okay and no bad odor => leave alone in my experience.

Athena
Notorious P.I.G.

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:10 pm

I am worried about WalterP. His teeth still look the same but now the discolored one has blood at the very top at his gum. He also has a runny nose. For the last three days he has been hanging out with Pearly and Nigella under the lean-to, which is a heated area. He didn't used to sit over there with them. He is also, on occasion, making an unusual whimpering beep noise--I wonder if that's when his bad tooth gets bumped?

His eating has been normal, though, until this morning when he didn't eat any veggies.

I have given him metacam, which I have for Pearly with her tumor. I do have baytril but can't remember the dose to give.

I'm guessing you are all going to say go to the vet so I'm calling them after I post this.

I've been so concerned and taking care of Pearly with her tumor that I fear I've missed WP's problems...

Wheekers3

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:37 pm

Is the discolored tooth still firmly there? It may be broken or abcessed above the gum line. See if it is loose in any way. It may be causeing sinus trouble.

I had a pig with chronic brittle discolored teeth. They would break off and re-grow - still discolored. My Vet wasn't much help. He did try to trim the tooth and it fell out once. After that there was a tooth losing cycle. It would grow to the proper length and then break and fall out. He would be painful when it was broken and the gum was the only thing holding it in.

Weigh weekly and hand feed smaller bits of lettuce etc.

A knowledgeable Vet consult would be ideal.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:15 pm

How is his weight? It sounds like he's in pain if he is wimpering occasionally. I would give some pain meds and hand feed if it seems he is not eating enough.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:28 pm

He also has a runny nose.
I'd get him to a vet asap and see if he has a URI.

This may be nothing to do with the tooth.