Nursing sow with mastitis

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:50 pm

One of my fosters has a nursing sow with a 2 week old baby. This is apparently the sow's 6th or 7th litter.

One of the sow's nipples is purplish and swollen. The family tells me that the baby will not use that one.

I figured it was mastitis and instructed them to do a warm compress and soak and try to reduce the swelling and also administer fluids (pedialyte) and vitamin C.

I'd like to put her on Bactrim but is this ok while she is nursing?

Should I tell them to try to express it?

Is there anything else I can do for her?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:57 pm

I think bactrim is okay, even for little ones. Lots of compresses. I don't know if expressing would help or not -- but it could relieve pressure if the baby is not nursing at all.

melcvt00

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:14 pm

I wouldn't try to express it...it would hurt like hell.

I'm not sure I would want to pass on low doses of antibiotics to the baby. It could potentially cause a problem with resistance later on. With the baby nursing, more milk will continue to be produced. I know it's early, but weaning now could possibly help the sow "dry up", and stop adding to the infection.

Definitely start antibiotics and compresses and fluids and Vitamin C.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:37 pm

I can't agree with weaning now. I am drawing from what little I remember of human nursing and mastitis. Hopefully the compresses will help it drain.

Sunshine

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:52 pm

If a guinea pig lactation is similar in any way to humans, alternating warm and cold compresses will help. Also frozen cabbage leaves(thawed and warmed up a bit..freezing softensthem) applied to helps with engorgement, but it used normally for mastitis that is brought on by weaning and helps dry the milk.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:19 am

The vet agreed with Mel--wean the baby. There was a large swelling around the nipple and in order to decrease it he felt that milk production must be stopped.

The foster is going to do compresses, bactrim, and express it to relieve the pressure.

This is the Palo Alto sow.

melcvt00

Post   » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:03 am

My reasoning behind weaning now - not only does the continued production of milk help add to the problem...mastitis tends to spread. There is a strong possibility of the baby ingesting some of the bacteria in the milk from the infection.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:54 am

egads. I'm taking the sow back to the foster today. I'll make sure the baby is separated.

lisam

Post   » Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:13 pm

When I had a horse with mastitis recently the vet had me wean the baby. This baffled me, since when I had mastitis with my second son, the doctor encouraged me to nurse as often as possible.

The antibiotic I was taking did make him colicky, however.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:28 pm

The foster mom is concerned that taking the baby away will cause Polly to engorge and then be in more pain.

Someone mentioned alternating hot and cold compresses. Will either of these help the engorgement? I presume that hot compress goes before expressing, then cold after?

What else can they do to reduce the pain for Polly after weaning?

lisam

Post   » Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:26 pm

Will she eat mint? It's supposed to help stop milk production.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:49 pm

I'll tell them!

Sunshine

Post   » Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:02 pm

Engorgement sometimes alternating heat and cold compresses helps. No particular order. Try the previously frozen cabbage leaves that are still cool, it'll help dry the milk up. Helps alot for engorgement. That could be the cool compress...

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:10 pm

I think they are going to do heat, express, cold.

They are feeding her mint from their garden too.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:25 pm

Polly is not doing well without her baby. The foster is very worried. Apparently Polly is very swollen and painful and the family really feels that she needs to nurse.

But I am concerned, of course, about the mastitis spreading and also endangering the baby.

Is this normal for her to be in so much pain? They say they can't even pick her up.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:28 pm

Can I give her pain meds? Rimadyl? Torb?

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:18 pm

Jeez. Is there any way that the baby could nurse on the non-infected nipple, just a little, maybe once or twice a day (while both mom and baby are being held)? That might reduce some of the pressure. Although, from what I understand, without stimulation the sow will dry up eventually even though she will be uncomfortable for that period of time.

If she's not nursing, I would try giving her Rimadyl. An anti-inflammatory might help out, reducing the inflammation (and also the pain). If the sow ISN'T nursing, it shouldn't be a problem (ie, meds transmitted to the baby).

The antibiotics should clear up the painful part of the infection within about 36 hours or so (I think) even though to make sure it's all gone the pig has to be involved for 10 days or so. All I can go on is my experiences with urine scald and UTI - The pain stopped after 36 hours, and the pig "felt" normal again, I mean. Anti-inflammatories can reduce the swelling, and maybe some pain meds just to get her through this tricky part.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:29 pm

My daughter weaned herself at nine months. Cold Turkey. Hot compresses, antibiotics and advil helped me. It was painful.

It helps to not express all the milk. Milk is a supply and demand equation. The more you express, the more you make. Try only expressing half the milk to slow her production. Poor thing....... I feel for her. It pains me to think of mastitis after 10 years. I'd give her pain meds.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:52 pm

Thank you both. I am headed over there now with some Rimadyl.

She is on Bactrim, btw.

Kerry_Lennon

Post   » Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:09 am

I remember when I had Mastisis with my son...oh what pain, but it was actually worse when he was not feeding, it seemed to relieve the build up of milk, the doctor gave me anti-biotics and it gave Lennon the runs. Nothing that could be of any help, but htought id post my experience.

24 posts