Dogs and Guinea Pigs?--do they get along?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:24 pm

HDSIEBERT1320, please read this post:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 711#826711
If you take the time to use proper captalization and punctuation, it makes posts so much more readable.
Thanks!

Cat_67

Post   » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:16 pm

A couple of weeks ago I attended a "dog language" class, i.e. body language between dogs. It was very educational! However, the lecturer also mentioned one interesting thing, which I haven't heard before, and haven't seen happen in my dog, but nevertheless could be worth thinking about for us who have both dogs and piggies.

It came up when discussing large breeds with high hunting/killing instincts and how they can misinterpret smaller (miniature dogs). Now, there is some debate about this, but facts are that sometimes miniature dogs are killed by larger. He was saying that when the little dog squals and shows submissive signals, the squeal is a tiny squeak that is understood as the sound of a small prey, and the killing instinct kicks in. He said that he believed using squeaky toys as a reward when training your dog would trigger the killing instinct in dogs with these tendencies.

I train obedience with my dog, and he loved to work for squeaky toys, but I couldn't help thinking that maybe that could be something to think about at least for those of us who have guinea pigs as well.

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:16 pm

My Husky likes..to wash them...LOL If I cuddle with a piggy, he comes and begins to lick them. I think he thinks..they smell funny;) or that they are very strange cats;) he does that to our cats too, so I think it is safe to say that some dogs do likes other animals with them in the house.
I'd stay careful though: animals are and will remain animals: they too can have a grumpy day and an urge to bite;) I know many humans like that too..lol

tooolgrl

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:28 am

I just want to say I have two dogs, one is a 4 year old yellow lab, the other a year old yorkie. They both have always known guinea pigs, BUT, I would never trust them not to hurt them. Whenever I have the pigs out to clean or examine, the yorkie has to be put in her crate because she does try to bite them. The lab is much less interested but still not to be trusted. I also have 6 cats, and I have never had one of them try to attack a pig. In fact one morning many years ago the cage was left open by accident and one of my ragdolls got in and curled up with my old Bart and napped until my daughter discovered him. Now that is extreme I know and I would never trust them to be alone but I have seen dogs to be more pig aggressive than cats in my experience. But dogs and cats are prey driven and any smaller creature is vulnerable.

Impy

Post   » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:11 pm

I don't think there's any specific breed that would be better suited for a good Guinea Pig relationship, except maybe a smaller breed so the piggies have no chance of being accidentally squashed by massive paws.

My Aunt has a Golden Retriever who absolutely adores Smokey. I had to dog-sit her for a weekend, and she spent almost the entire time by Smokey's cage. All her play-time with him was supervised, but she had no intention of harming him. Perhaps it's because she was female? She treated Smokey like a fat puppy, even going to far as to nudge him over to her food dish at dinnertime and give him full-body baths! She even snarled at her borther (a bloodhound) when he came over to investigate who was stealing all the attention!

Piggie kisses all around!

Two lovers seperated by metal bars....XD

Mab_Creature

Post   » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:26 am

I don't have any other pets, but my boyfriend pig-sits for me regularly. He has a Boston Terrier named Edgar. Now, Edgar is about 7 years old and has cataracts in both eyes and HATES all other dogs with a passion. We're pretty sure Edgar either thinks he's human, or we're all just special dogs. I don't know enough about dogs in general but maybe this has something to do with his attitude towards guinea pigs. As soon as they first entered the house Edgar sniffed the cage bars. He seemed intrigued by the noises, but not enough to investigate. Later on when he saw one in my lap he came over and sniffed and then lay down at my feet. I believe that he assumed the pigs were just a new part of the pack, like I was. He pretty much ignores them, except to get jealous and he takes that out on his humans.
    In addition, Lola has a crush on him! Every time she hears him coming she runs to the nearest side of the cage and thrusts her nose between the bars to sniff him!

David das

Post   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:20 am

Hi we have thirteen pigs running wild soon to be more, jack our 9 year old son, doesn't like thee idea of giving any up.
    That will have to change. there will be another litter this week LOL
    We have A Labrador who gets on fine with them they run away from us before her. She is 6 years old we have only had her 4 to 5 months
    Had to teller of for chasing them to start with, but she was not really out to catch them, there just part of the scene now.
    They live under a tree outside. nothing can get in there very dense.
    We had a problem with a couple of cats getting the babies, hence Ruby the dog. I t is down to each dogs personality, and the introduction period, how it is handled, luck life etc
    many animals co exist, together, and are quite mindful of each other very cute.

jacqueline

Post   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:04 am

So your pigs live outside 24/7, not in cages? The dog guards them? Males and females living together?

MotaroRIP

Post   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:00 pm

Goodness gracious. What the hell?

jacqueline

Post   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:36 pm

I know. I was hoping to get more info before. . .you know. . . losing my mind., . .

bpatters
    And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:56 pm

Read my lips. T R O L L.