new pig does not like veggies!

rshevin

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:59 am

Don't switch around pellets. You don't want to feed anything other than Oxbow or Kleenmama anyway. It may be time to investigate pellet mash and critical care.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:59 am

Ditto on the above. Please be sure he has access to unlimited timothy hay.

Where he come from?

Mab_Creature

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:04 pm

Poor baby! I think that sometimes the stress of being in a new environment affects their appetites. Mine hardly ate anything but pellets for about a week when they came home. Hopefully with time he'll improve but I agree that if this continues you should definitely look into other means of nutrition, and even medical help.

tiggyswift

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:33 pm

Thanks for all the tips. I know I shouldn't offer several kinds of pellets, but I was just trying to see if he liked a certain kind, and I want to see him eat. The only kind of grass I use is timothy hay. Sorry for the confusion. I decided to take him to the vet tomorrow. I wonder if his molars are overgrown. He appears healthy otherwise. Clear, bright eyes, shiny fur, etc. I just bought some oxbow cavy quisine, and I use Kaytee timothy hay. My piggies are somewhat fussy when it comes to hay, and this is the freshest looking and smelling hay I can find, and the only kind they will eat.
He came from a pet store on Tuesday.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:48 pm

How much does he weigh?

Petstore pigs are usually babies. In addition, they can frequently be ill - a vet check is always a good idea.

tiggyswift

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:17 pm

We got him on the 4th, but he was too skittish to weigh until the 6th. He would try to bolt off the scale! On the 6th he weighed 2lb 5 3/4 oz. Yesterday (12/8) he was 2lb 4 oz. He is a bigger pig for a pet store. He is going first thing tomorrow to a vet, at the expense of the petstore.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:27 pm

Ah, then he's not a baby.

Definitely get the petstore to pay for a vet visit - you want to make it unprofitable for the store to sell guinea pigs.

tiggyswift

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:51 pm

I would have preferred to adopt from a shelter, but none were available, and Elmo needs a new friend, as he lost his almost a month ago, and has been somewhat depressed since. Elmo came from a shelter in April. Junior is the first one I bought from a store, actually.

tiggyswift

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:25 pm

well, now he won't eat. I have tried syringe feeding, although not very successfully as he is still really skittish. I put him back in his cage, and put some bermuda grass in, as a last resort. He has started eating that, a little. I know it is not the best nutritionally, but if that is what he will eat, he can have it. There have been no poops for quite a while, since this morning. He is drinking and peeing ok.

Mab_Creature

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:45 pm

I'm so sorry. I hope the vet can help you both. Best wishes to you and your little one. I bet he'll be right as rain in a few weeks!
And I'm impressed you got the store to pay. Good for you, they should!

CavyGal6680

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:45 pm

I'm so sorry, please keep us posted as to what the vet says. Good luck!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:29 pm

Work harder syringe feeding. This is vitally important.
www.guinealynx.info/.html