Widget is terrified and we don't know why

rshevin

Post   » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:27 pm

Ok this is probably way, way out in left field but is there any chance he had some kind of a seizure?

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:46 pm

I don't think so, because he's completely responsive to us, and he'll eat and drink if you put his food right smack in front of him while he's at his most terrified. He also does that fearful fluff up thing.

It's a good question, rshevin. Thinking back to what happened last night, I don't think it was a seizure.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:53 pm

Huh? what happened there Widget, come on, wheek to us little man...
I am sorry, I have no idea what it could be that scared him like that.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:57 pm

Pain perhaps?

TX Rustlers

Post   » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:58 pm

I have had this happen a couple of times with rescue piggies, where they were petrified of the cage and switching them to a different cage fixed the issue.

The last one actually had a urinary tract infection and seemed to be associating pain with the cage or something external, within a few days of having the piggy on antibiotics the freaking out stopped.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:18 pm

Unless he somehow managed to poke himself without my noticing, I don't think so. Right now he's cheerful as can be, eating, drinking, running up to the side of the cage to demand attention. He just refuses to go to the hayloft.

I'll have Jim hold him while I look at the bottoms of his feet. Maybe he has a bad spur or something.

somechick

Post   » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:22 am

It was Henry that got spooked in her loft and wouldn't go up for days. Nothing really spooked her either - I was there when it happened, I checked the loft. It honestly seemed like she bumped into Dudley and wasn't expecting it, jumped 100 feet in the air, and freaked out.

A tip from Maremma (I might have spelled that wrong) - I had to clean EVERY part of the cage, including the ramp. After that it took some gentle shoving, but she almost immediately went back to normal.

MommyofGus

Post   » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:30 am

Obviously, your house is haunted and he's creeped out. Duh.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:59 pm

Obviously, your house is haunted and he's creeped out. Duh.

Wow. How could I have missed that? Thanks, MommyofGus! Maybe I need to consult with Elly.

Today, Widget was hanging out in his hayloft, so I guess the ghost isn't bothering him right now.

MommyofGus

Post   » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:51 pm

Yeah, ghosts are moody. They only bother pigs when they feel like it.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:00 pm

I wonder if it could static? Like a small static shock? COuld it be on the bedding? Oh well I like the ghost theory better anyway.

How is he now?

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:22 pm

Yeah, ghosts are moody. They only bother pigs when they feel like it.

It was probably the impending whether. Stirs up the ghosts.

I wonder if it could static?

You know, this is a good question. With the storm that moved in, everything was dry and there was a lot of static electricity. I did run their clean bedding in the dryer with a dryer sheet (which I don't usually do) because it was clinging pretty badly.

He's been eating in his hayloft, a happy Widgy.