new pig does not like veggies!

tiggyswift

Post   » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:33 am

Thanks Mum, rpaws, and all the others who have given me advice.
I couldn't weigh him for a few days because he would try to bolt out of the scale. He will sit there now, so I will continue to weigh him daily and I will also measure his food. I like the piggy train idea, and will keep it in mind when I am looking to adopt another piggie. I will keep you all updated on how he is doing, and the vet report I get later today. I also am going to ask to see his cage so I can see his poops for myself. I want to make sure he is going normally when he comes home.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:07 pm

Go light on the apples. The trick of chopping foods fine and sneaking them in is a good one. You could chop greens up really fine too.

tiggyswift

Post   » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:12 pm

Well I heard from the pet store. The vet wants to keep Junior for 24 hrs to closely monitor his intake/output. I will find out more tomorrow morning. I will go light on the apples, and will cover part of his cage to make him feel more secure. Maybe he was just really stressed. I hope that is all it is.

tiggyswift

Post   » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:36 pm

Update on Junior- Vet has diagnosed him with contstipation. He is being treated with vitamins in his water, and benebac.
They did not find any other problems with him. The store tells me I can have a refund if I do not want him, and now I don't know what to do. I know I made mistakes, and have learned a valuable lesson about why to steer clear of petstore pets. I feel so bad for him, and feel if I don't take him, he will be subjected to a miserable life, which he has already endured for a while. Should I take him anyway, and give him a happier life? I am really confused now. I wish I hadn't been so naive about the whole thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If I do take him, he will definately go to one of the 2 cavy savvy vets I use for a check up. Both are very good.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:55 pm

That is a poor diagnosis. Their vet is likely not competent as usual or they don't want to pay a lot for diagnosis.

You never add anything to their water. The only supplement he would need is vit C. They can overdose on multivitamins.

Post   » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:04 pm

Sounds like the vet at that pet store knows very little about guinea pigs. The vitamins in his water will do nothing for constipation or anything else. They might actually make him stop drinking because the water will taste different. If he does drink, there is no way to tell how much vitamins he is getting, and they degrade quickly in the water and light anyway. I don't know that benebac does anything for constipation either. From what I know of it, it restores the good bacteria in a piggy's digestive system and is usually given when an antibiotic is prescribed to help insure that they don't stop eating.

I don't think any of us can really make the decision of whether or not you should take this pig back. I know I wouldn't be able to abandon an animal that I had taken into my home, no matter if it was a mistake to have purchased him in the first place. I'd almost be willing to guarantee that Junior will be dead within a day or two if you don't take him back and get him to a vet who actually knows what the heck they are doing.

tiggyswift

Post   » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

I thought it was a poor diagnosis, and that vitamins should never be added to water. I feel so bad for him, I should just go get him, anyway. I don't want to leave him there. I have 2 very competent
vets I use for my piggies, and will take him to one of them. It isn't his fault he wound up in that awful place. I also made the mistake of taking him back because I thought they should take care of the problem. Boy, was I wrong doing that, too! I could just kick myself for that. It was a dumb choice, that is for sure. Thank you for the advice again. I do really appreciate it!

GuineaPinny

Post   » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:49 pm

We can't change the past, only present and future. It sounds like you are taking the right steps now. Good luck to Junior boy.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:46 pm

Go get him, ASAP. We can help you get through until you can see a real vet.

tiggyswift

Post   » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:09 pm

I will! I know I can't change what has happened.I just feel horrible about what he has been through, the poor thing. I can make his life better, I know I can. Thanks! I will feel much better when I have him, and can probably get him to my vet right away. I will keep you posted. Thanks!

rpaws

Post   » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:46 am

tiggyswift,
I would go get him and take him to the vet as soon as possible too - and this is from someone who trys to avoid any pet stores that sell guinea pigs. The little guy deserves a better life. After everything is done, you can then try to stick the store with the bill. But for now, the important thing is to get Junior medical attention.

I never heard of a guinea pig getting constipated, in fact mine are just the opposite. They are little perpetual 'poop machines.' Instead I would worry that bloat is occurring.

Crossing paws Junior gets okay soon.

tiggyswift

Post   » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:55 am

Junior is home!!!!! Yea!! His weight is still down, though. Boy, were they mad at me that I want a 2nd opinion! He looks good though, I do have to say. I just put him in his cage, and he ran all around cooing before he went in his house. I measured out his food, and will check it in a while, after he settles in. They had to call their vet to get permission to release him to me. As we were walking out the door, they showed me his medication, which was benebac, and get this, CRITICAL CARE!!! Of course, they would not give it to me. Does anyone know where I can get this quickly, or an equivalent? They were only going to have him on it through tomorrow am. They say he is eating/drinking well, and lapping up his CC, but no poops since I got him, an hour ago. Vet appt. tonight at 7:20 pm (ET). They do not carry CC, and may suggest baby sweet potato, as they did with my other pig. Is this ok? I have seen it somwhere in someones post that it is. They told me right off in a very nasty tone(the store manager) that they will not pay for the 2nd opinion, which is fine with me. All that matters is that he is home. If he does not eat soon, I will try the cut up apple in his pellets. I am keeping him on the Kaytee for now until he eats well, and then slowly switch him to the oxbow cavy cuisine. His food end of the cage is covered with a towel to make him feel secure when he eats, and of course he has his pigloo, also. Am I doing ok so far? Will he be ok w/o the CC? I will keep yoiu posted as to his progress throughout the day. Sorry so long to read.