new pig does not like veggies!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:05 pm

Please do keep us updated. Good news so far.

tiggyswift

Post   » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:20 pm

Thanks. I am quite happy! Although first critical feeding was quite a disaster! He did NOT want it at all!! What a mess we made! I did manage to get most of it in him, but he is so squirmy and would not keep his head still. My son ended up holding him while I gave him the rest, or he would not have gotten it. I have done syringe feeding before, but not on a pig that hated it so much. Well, I suppose we will get through it. I am sure it will get easier, or he will figure out that if he eats, he won't need this anymore. I do need to do it for a few days at least. I am ecstatic that things turned out so well. We will get through it day by day. I have used this site alot for a reference on care and medical advice, and I love it, but I wish I had joined the forum a long time ago. It has helped me so much! I only joined a week ago, and have received a lot of good advice and support. Thank you all! I will let you know tomorrow how he is doing. I am sure it will be good.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:47 am

Sending good thoughts for Junior! I hope he continues to do well.

Do not forget to weigh him daily. :)

rpaws

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:58 am

Yeah for a good report on Junior! It surprising for an animal with no neck, how a guinea pig can squirm like a snake to avoid getting anything in a syringe.

My little (permanent) foster girl who didn't like to initially eat veggies also came to me with lice. Luckily I already knew about GuineaLynx and a 3 week quarantine period so my other guinea pigs were okay. At the vet, I could hear her scream all the way down the corridor when she got the first injection. She was quiet during the second one. I think she knew the vet was trying to help.

It's amazing how quickly guinea pig people come to view plentiful poops as a GOOD situation.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:59 am

And it's so hard because all the time they're being bratty and pushing away what they need to eat, they look so cute! Hard to keep forcing the stuff in em and not just cuddle.

Annie K

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:10 am

I found with one of my little ones that if I wrapped him in a towel like a baby - a piggy burrito, if you will - that it was easier to syringe feed him. You might still need a second pair of hands, but he did not struggle and stress himself out so much. As I learned the hard way, it is vitally important to keep them eating no matter what, so don't be afraid to be the "bad mommy" for a while. He'll forgive you later when he's munching up the gourmet salad you make for him when he's feeling better!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:42 pm

Make sure you do not put them on their back. This might result in aspirating (breathing in) the food. You want them to swallow it.

tiggyswift

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:10 pm

Update today- He still does not want to come out of his house. He sits there huddled up giving me the evil eye whenever I peak at him. He still hates the critical care, but we are plugging away. I do need someone to help me with it. He fights it so. It is amazing how a 2lb animal can be so difficult! I sure hope he starts eating on his own soon. I was told it may take a few days before that happens. As far a holding him during feedings, I have to wrap him up in a towel, and hold him completely upright. We go slow, so he swallows before he gets more.This is the only way I can get it in him. I mixed in his vit. c and some sweet potato, hoping this would taste better to him ,but he says it doesn't. I am so worried about him! I hope he makes it through it ok. I wanted to cry when he got the sub Q fluids and ivermectin. He screamed so loud, it was horrible! I tried mixing carrot in his pellets today. I weighed the dish before and tonight. It does weigh slightly less. Could the liquid from the carrot or apple I mixed in lose enough fluid to make a difference in the weight? His weight is slightly up, not much though. I will keep you updated.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:14 pm

Critical care comes in two flavors that I know of. Perhaps you have the one with licorice and that's what he doesn't like. I have a bag in the freezer but it is banana.

Are you wrapping him completely then holding his head in the crook of your arm so he can't move his head? I know there are other ways of force feeding but this is the method that works best for me as I have no one to help.

tiggyswift

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:47 pm

I don't know what flavor it is, but he is not liking anything.
When I take his house out to check for poops, he runs to his water bottle and drinks some, or he goes to his hay rack and takes a few nibbles of hay. If I took his house out and cover the cage completely(I will leave the back open for air), will he think the whole cage is his house? I don't want to stress him out anymore than necessary. I put a bowl of plain pellets in too, along with the ones mixed with carrot. As far as veggies go, he will nibble a bit on a baby carrot, but that is all. I do put him in the crook of my arm, but keep him upright and have someone hold his head so I can get it in. He has done 5 small poops today, and they are dry, dispite his sub Q fluids and drinking. He does not feel bloated or distended at all, which is good. Hope he eats soon!

tiggyswift

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:25 pm

Does it take a few days for them to decide to eat? I am so worried about him! I wish he would eat for me. His weight is stable, I think. It is hard as he moves and the scale fluctuates a bit. He has done about 10 poops today, better than yesterday, but could be better. They are still dry, even though he is drinking. Keep your fingers crossed! Come on Junior! You can do it!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:36 pm

Fingers are crossed here. It can take a day or two for them to get the idea (at least with mine!) that, yes, this feeding is going to happen like it or not. Eventually, mine settled down although, in her case, it was taking meds.

The Oxbow Critical Care bag should say what flavor it is on the front.