HELP ME!- all six of them have this!

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:48 pm

While combing Caramel, I noticed some flaky stuff on the top of her head. Inspecting her more, I found that behind her ears it was like someone having psoriasis!!
I then proceeded to inspect each girl: ALL SIX OF THEM have it. just behind the ears, some a tad over the top of their head. What is it!!!:(
I read on the medical at GL and it gave me an idea but I want to know what you guys are thinking. I am in panic mode here!!!

klynne

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:07 am

Most likely mites, which triggered a secondary bacterial and/or fungal infection of the skin.

Poor kiddos.

I'd go with the standard mite treatments, then follow up with Nizoral, maybe Monistat, too. Ab's only if needed, then.

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:10 am

Abs? What is that? Monistat cream, like for human fungal infection? would canestan do? They got their second dose this week of ivermectin, as a precaution. But now, looks like it IS necessary!
I could cry my heart out!! How come I didn't see that!
I have a wooden house among their hideaways; should I get rid of it?
Anything I should do?

GuineaPinny

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:12 am

I don't know that it would be related to what's going on, but I've read that wooden houses can be bacteria traps if not cleaned regularly. Might be a good idea (not a GP expert).

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:37 am

I'm sorry that your girls are going through this.

Ab's (Abs) is shorthand for Antibiotics.

What are the ingrediants for Canestan?

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:40 am

in Canestan, the main active ingredient is clotrimazole( 1%); says on the tube it is antifungal. The pharmacy sells it on the same shelves as monistat for fungal infection ( usually yeast infection that you get because you take antibiotics).
I don,t know what more I can do and it kills me to know they could have had that since a long time and I did not even noticed!!!!!
Shall I take them all to the vet and ask for antibiotics?????

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:53 am

I'm not an expect, however I'm not sure that Canestan is the same as Monistat. Monistat contains the active ingredient Miconazole nitrate.

https://www.guinealynx.info/antifungal_agents.html#cream

I do not know if a vet would prescribe an antibiotic for mites/fungus, unless there was some serious scratching or infection also present.

Do not blame yourself. Chances are that they have not had this very long, or you would have noticed sooner.

Hopefully there will be more advice soon.

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:57 am

I will not be able to sleep. My God! Can this be transmitted to the cats and the dog????
if the cavies just had a dose of ivermectin, can they have revolution also???

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:15 am

From what I understand, if this is a case of "typical guinea pig" mites, then the cats and the dog should be fine. If you want to be extra-careful, follow quarantine procedures. Use one apron or shirt while handling the guinea pigs, and remove it before touching the cats or the dog. Extra hand-washing is always good.

If I were you, I would do as Klynne suggested and try the Nizoral shampoo, along with continuing their regular ivermectin doses.

I do not know if you can use Revolution and Ivermectin at the same time.

Other experts will have more advice for you soon.

You will need your rest, if you plan to bathe six pretty guinea pigs!

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:21 am

Shall I let them dry by themselves? isn't the dryer going to add to the dryness of their skin? It is about 20 degrees where the cage is. Could they run a risk of getting cold? or better dry them then??? I wonder if I should not begin now!!!!!!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:35 am

At this time of year, I would not let them dry by themselves. It is very chilly, and we all know how delicate guinea pigs can be.

Leave the Nizoral on for a little bit after you've lathered the guinea pig. Nizoral will also soothe dry skin, I believe.

Topaz

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:05 am

"I will not be able to sleep. My God! Can this be transmitted to the cats and the dog????"

1aicha, breeeeeathe.....c'mon. Breathe in, breath out.

There, don't you feel better?

Stop stressing so much. These things happen. You are not a bad mommy.

From what I've heard and read, guinea pig mites are species specific. So you wouldn't have to worry about that.

Fungal could be another story, but just take precautions to keep them away from each other if that's the case.

Just do like others have said. Start with the Nizoral bath, then continue on with your Ivermectin treatment.

Now, this is just me and I don't know if I should be recommending this without research to back it, BUT....

I love vitamin E oil and have put it on my pigs dry looking ears from time to time. Not a lot, just a dab or two rubbed in. I also use it on my human kids and swear by it for certain "dry/itchy skin" issues. Maybe you could try a little bit after the Nizoral bath and Ivermectin treatment? I'm sure it would do absolutely nothing for fungal though.

Good luck. And your babies will be fine!