HELP ME!- all six of them have this!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:12 am

It might be a skin yeast infection.

Ditto on continuing the ivermectin. And perhaps a Nizoral shampoo and topical antifungal cream.

Skin problems often clear up just fine. I would not worry about this at all.

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:19 am

Thank you guys for your help. I got the monistat at the pharmacy. *YAWN* and I am a pretty tired mommy.
Topaz: yes, it did help to begin breathing normally again...lol
This is a pain in the b*** but beside a lot of work for me, I wonder if it could spread more on their bodies???
shall I combine the monistat and then apply the vitamin E???

WICharlie

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:38 am

You mention about giving a "second dose" of ivermectin as a precaution. You do know that a full treatment consists of three doses, 7 days apart, yes? Or maybe you meant that they were fully treated (three times) and that you started another round?

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:43 am

WICharlie: yes, I was aware of thew three doses for the treatment. The thing is, I had already begun to give them a preventive treatment when I discovered just yesterday the lesions. So either I caught it in time or they got that just after their first dose of Ivermectin.
I have an appointment with the vet at 2 p.m. Should /might know a little bit more after.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:45 am

another guess come to my mind...
ringworm, the fungal infection.
You need a vet to run a fugal culture to confirm this...
When was the last time you batehd them with Nizoral, if it is not too present, you should ask your vet about doing cultures.

Is the cage cage more humid then the rest of the house?
Are there any wooden hidies, toys and chews inside the cage where the girls share?

Fungal spores are always present but flares when the air gets more humid.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:06 pm

Good call, cutemomomi!

A ringworm culture takes about 10 days, though, to grow.

You can treat each pig with oral cat Program - it won't hurt them if they don't have ringworm, but it's very effective if they do.

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:55 pm

oral cat? Does that mean it usually given to cats?
If it is ringworm, shouldn't the eye region be touched as well?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:02 pm

Yes, it's given to cats - usually for fleas, but it works on ringworm.

I don't recall that ringworm affects the eyes. But it is highly contagious to you also.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:13 pm

Even if it is ringworms, like Mum said it will take a few days for the culture to confirm its presence.
I will start taking all the precautions now, like wear protective clothing and latex gloves when handling them and have the kids and other pets stay away to prevent contact.

klynne

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:05 pm

Yes, ditch the wooden hidey. I'd also do a good cage cleaning, with a bleach solution--then rinse very well, and dry everything, before returning the pigs to the area.

Good luck with the vet visit.

vanillapooh1979

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:05 pm

The easiest way to determine if its ringworm at any stage is to shine a black light on it . If it glows a greenish yellow then it is indeed ringworm .

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:36 pm

That test is not always accurate.