HELP ME!- all six of them have this!

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:17 pm

Was at the vet earlier. she took a culture. she tried the glowing light but could not see anything but like she said, it is accurate only one time out of two.has to let it grow ( the culture) for ten days but already she said to act as if it would be ringworm. I passed the whole day, really, the whole day washing/bathing, creaming, disinfecting, trowing away wood toys, huts, branches...I am exhausted..still have some laundry to finish ( their towels and flee blankies)
I need a glass of wine..maybe two...........
Now, when should I begin that all cycle again? In a week?
monistat cream: the vet said to apply it once a day.
Vanille's infection is growing terribly rapidly. the whole top of her head is naked and bleeding now. I feel for her!!! She looks like a piggy who has been mistreated!!!!!!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:40 pm

Monistat does nothing for ringworm. You need the oral cat Program.

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:29 pm

Have to wait for the cultures for that. Vet doesn't want to give it in prevention.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:36 pm

It is not harmful if dosed on a "not ringworm infected" cavy I believe.
In the meantime, take all preventative measures for you, children and other pets in the house.
Try to make Vanille as comfy as possible, did she get some pain relief from the vet?
I have recently found out that pain can make them stop eating their pellets rather abruptly, and then they get weak really quick in this cold weather.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:45 pm

I would - at this stage suggest you call your vet and strongly urge her to reconsider.

Program is pretty benign. I'm betting she's considering a different medication.

It will take at least 10 days to get any results from the culture. Vets don't usually make you wait for the results given the issues associated with ringworm.

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:37 pm

No, vet did not give pain meds. What can I give her???
here I have tylenol, aspirins, ibuprofen.
She cried out in pain about half an hour ago. she scratched her head and opened her wounds bleeding a lot. I re-creamed her with monistat and put a bandage ( gauze) over it. she is trying to take it off but so far it holds on. This is a nightmare......

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:39 pm

The only pain med I know is metacam...
I am so sorry, I know you must feel so helpless and frustrated now.

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:06 pm

and forget it, the tape doesn't hold..... I am at lost.

Topaz

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:15 pm

1aicha, I'm so sorry that things are progressing so quickly. Hopefully one of these treatments you have done, or will be doing, will do the trick very soon. Poor Caramel. And poor you.

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:33 pm

The others are afraid of her a bit because she is acting so strange, running around, then stopping then more running then resting. Poor poor lil thing!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:49 pm

Where is she injuring herself? Would a body bandage help?

www.guinealynx.info/.html

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:59 pm

Momo suggested that I put this information up since she is busy at the moment ...

The photos below and the photos in the albums linked to might be helpful for you. The top photo is of a guinea pig who had ringworm and one of the links is to her photo album. The photo with the crusting around her eyes are posted so that you can compare them to your own pig(s). (The green around her eye is dust from the hay.)

The bottom photo shows a guinea pig with a bad case of mites. The other link is to a photo album that shows a guinea pig who had a bad case of mites. Again, so that you can compare your pigs to the photos of two different skin problems: mites and ringworm. (He had a lot of flakes and intense itching.)

Link to photo album featuring a guinea pig with ringworm:
http://imageevent.com/bizylizy/miscella ... ebaandrita

Link to another album featuring a guinea pig currently being treated for ringworm: http://imageevent.com/bizylizy/miscellaneous/jenni

Link to photos of guinea pig with mites: http://imageevent.com/bizylizy/miscellaneous/puamites

I've had three or four pigs come through who have exhibited visual symptoms of fungus behind the ears ... three with a faint red outline around the outer edge of the bald spot, two with dusting on the ear flap, and two with crusting.

I have not had to give anything for any itching nor have I had any pig seizure due to the pain or intense itchiness. If your pig(s) are presenting that symptom, I would check with your vet to see if something can be recommended to ease the pain and/or itching.

I have used a variety of tropical and oral treatments and it seems that what might work in one case does not always work in another. One constant that I use is Nizoral shampoo. I also like to use Lamisil liquid (I cannot find it any more but still have some). If it does turn out to be a fungal issue (which it might not), it is known to be very contagious (I ended up getting it myself a couple of years ago).

Probably if the pig were mine, I would remove everything that cannot be washed (mine just have a step stool in the cage at the moment). I would also most likely remove the pig who is suffering the most and place her in a cage near the others so that you can attend to her and so that she will not freak out the others.

A fungal problem can take a while to resolve compared to mites. Perhaps others have suggestions on how to make her more comfortable and treat her until the results come back. ~ Kathy