Tales of Mrs Tiggy-Winkle

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:33 am

I had originally intended writing about Sparky and some of her little stories but since she passed away and reached the grand old age of 7 years there was too much to tell and it brought back too many memories.

Instead I thought I'd start this thread on my newest little arrival so that her story starts at the beginning and those people who helped rescue her can keep up with her antics. So in true story telling fashion...

Once upon a time... there was a cat who was found playing with something small and furry near a back garden. This small and furry creature turned out to be a baby guinea pig and sadly was not that furry after all. The baby had not been injured by the cat and luckily, was found by a cavy savvy owner. On further investigation it turned out to be an allotment where the cat had found the baby piggy where several dilapidated hutches and a shed were being used to breed guinea pigs and rabbits in some pretty dire conditions. Taking a closer look, our rescuer found a small group of very young pups huddled under a hutch where they had obviously escaped from, or fallen out of.

Grabbing what she could and stuffing pups into pockets, she also grabbed a nursing sow from one of the hutches and left. After phoning the SPCA, it was down to caring for the 6 youngsters and mum. They were all very thin and underweight and some had hairloss likely due to mites and their poor condition. Some of the pups also had extra toes.

After much TLC and supplementary handfeeding, as poor mum was not in a great condition to feed all the pups herself, they seemed to thrive.

One of these small sow pups was to eventually come home with me and was named after the Beatrix Potter hedgehog - Mrs Tiggy-Winkle as her back end had black and brown hair standing up in all directions.
Called Tiggy for short, this is the first pic I was sent of her at a few days old with a rescued sibling in the background.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:39 am

Tiggy sure is lucky to have found you. This is a good story.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:02 am

Hello Tiggy!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:20 am

She is adorable! Looking forward to more of your story.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:32 am

Oh, what a darling! How horrible to have been living in that nasty allotment hutch. Thank goodness she is with you.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:27 am

What an adorable little baby! Just look at that face.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:40 am

At this stage I have to admit there were other piggies still in the running in the hunt for a new friend for Chilli after Sparky died. Unfortunately some of these turned out to be boys instead!
I was sent these 2 photos to help in my decision making - but how to chose from so many cute piggy pups?!

After much care and attention, Tiggy arrived at Thistle Cavies with some of her siblings and mum to be rehomed. A few days passed for them to settle down and recover after their journey. This is where I came face to face with the little furry that would eventually be coming home with me. I was told Tiggy would be a good choice as she seemed to be getting picked on in the cage by mum and a couple of siblings.
That was it. Tiggy came home with me that night and spent her first night in her new home in a cage by herself to adjust.

Since I knew she had been treated for everything under the sun and Chilli had been updated on all her treatments, they were introduced the next day. Well, I have never had a piggy settle in so quick! Since my set up is free range, I expected young Tiggy to be scared of open spaces and hide everywhere, not to mention leave little 'magic beans' or worse everywhere. How wrong was I? This little pig who had obviously been well handled from the day she was rescued was as bold as brass and very chatty. She quite happily trotted about checking out everything, was not in the least bothered by me and answered every time i spoke to her. Chilli seemed to be the only one whose nose was put out of joint by this new arrival. Thankfully she wasn't aggressive - just a bit miffed!

Chaos+Order

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:02 am

She's adorable! Can't wait for more story and pics.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:12 pm

Welcome to GL Tiggy, she is beautiful.
I am so sorry you lost Sparky, she was a wonderful piggy who had an adorable face and makes one outstanding spokesman for the juice company...

Can we get a pictures of the two best friends hanging out together?

Wow, impressive, a free range set up.
Could you also post a few pictures of the area too? I am always looking for new ideas.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:44 pm

Yay for a Tiggy story! She is such a pretty girl.

vanillapooh1979

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:55 pm

She is so sweet .

JaneDoe

Post   » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:01 am

Yes, she is!