new pig does not like veggies!

tiggyswift

Post   » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:40 pm

Update on Junior- I spoke to the vet earlier, and he told me that this morning he ate some on his own, but his appetite dropped off again in the afternoon and he needed to be syringe fed again. They are going to keep him at least through tomorrow and see if he improves more tomorrow. I guess he is actually behaving for the feedings, the brat! I will update tomorrow after I talk to the vet.

tiggyswift

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:33 pm

Junior is home!!!! Yea!!! We have been home for about 15 minutes, and so far he has been a new pig! He is very curious, investigating every inch of his cage, and eating his hay. He has smelled his pellets, but has yet to eat them. He ate all day today without needing syringe feeding. Yesterday he needed 1 syringe feed. He seems to be feeling better, which is great! They still can't find anything physically wrong with him. I will update his progress later. I am very optimistic he will do well from now on!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:35 pm

Good news! Keep it up (both of you! :-)

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:50 pm

What great news! Horray! Keep up the good work.

tiggyswift

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:05 pm

Now he is eating his pellets, too! I am thrilled at the progress he has made tonight! We may never figure out what was wrong with him, but whatever is was, he is on the road to recovery, and doing great! He is spending a lot of time out of his house, too. Thanks for all the advice and well wishes! I really appreciate it! I will update tomorrow.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:33 pm

Wonderful news! So glad that Junior is eating and happy. :)

tiggyswift

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:57 pm

He even lays down in his house normally, too, with his head in the doorway! This is the first time I have seen that since we got him!
I can't believe the change in him! Now to get him to eat his vitamin C tablet, and we are all set! His pellets do have stabilized vit. c in them, but I would like to see him take his chewable tablet, too. He needs one more ivermectin treatment, and then we should be set. After I am sure the lice are gone and his health is still good, we will slowly start introductions with him and Elmo. I will update his progress tomorrow. We are definitely on the right track now! Finally!!!!!!

rpaws

Post   » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:30 am

Yeah! Junior is finally starting to eat like, well like a pig.

tiggyswift

Post   » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:57 am

Junior is doing pretty good this morning. He has actually eaten some romaine lettuce and a few bites of parsley, which is a big improvement! He is actually interested! He isn't eating as much of his pellets as I would like, but he is eating some of it. He is also spending a lot of time out of his house! He wasn't coming out at all before! One new thing he is doing is eating a bit of his shavings, which concerns me some. I have always used a mild pine shaving, and never had any problem at all. Will this hurt him? My husband is looking for some carefresh today, if we need to switch bedding. Other than that , he is doing great! Oh, pooping all over the place, too, so that is back to normal. I am impressed with the improvement in him! He looks so much happier!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:14 pm

Nibbling on just a tiny bit of kiln-dried pine won't hurt him. Ingesting large quantities of it might. If he nibbles the CareFresh too, though, it's about the same problem.

If he doesn't eat a lot of any of the beddings, he should be fine.

tiggyswift

Post   » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:11 pm

I will watch him to see how much he eats. It is hard to tell, though.
My vet seemed to think that maybe he was filling up on his shavings and not wanting to eat. How would I know how much is too much? This morning his weight was up 3/4 oz from yesterday, and tonight he is up another 1/8 oz, which is great! He is at least trying some veggies, although he only eats a few bites of them. He is drinking alot since he has been home. I will keep an eye on that for now. He is doing great on his hay,and better on pellets, but has a ways to go with that. Overall, I am pleased with how well he is doing. Tonight is the best he has done on his pellets so far! I can't wait till he gains back everything he lost!

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:04 am

Hurray for Junior! I'm so glad he's pulled through. Maybe you should bed him on fleece while he's learning to eat what's good for him. I suppose if he keeps eating the good stuff, you don't need to. But it's an idea if he regresses. Hay! Hay! Hay! Junior.