Introductions - Fighting!

ramzo19

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:07 am

What a rollercoaster! So I gave the girls a buddy bath tonight (I was quite nervous). Everything was ok until I put them on the towel to start the drying. All of a sudden, Cheese began to attack Gruber again. I was pretty upset and thought it was hopeless but put them both down in the 3x3 pen I built with lots of snacks while I cleaned out the cage (expecting to need the divider again).

I watched them for a bit while they chowed down and there really was no action. After a while, Cheese started trying to attack Gruber and the first few times I would try to startle them but did not separate physically. A little bit later Cheese again, tried to attack gruber but since the pen was fairly large, Gruber could run away resulting in just a bout of chasing with some nips. I didn't do anything because it wasn't as serious as before (having a large pen where Gruber could run away was much better than the couch/smaller pen I tried before).

After a while, literally as Cheese is chasing Gruber trying to attack her, I said to myself "I'm done", and basically decided I was going to return Cheese to the shelter. I'd tried introductions 4 times, buddy bath etc. and it wasn't working. Cheese was clearly the aggressor, Gruber was submissive the whole time etc. All of a sudden, Cheese caught Gruber and mounted her! (I know this is somwhat normal but I was expecting blood).

So I left the two for a few more hours in the pen, and other than some more chasing/humping by Cheese there were no attacks. Greatly encouraged, I set up teh cage (with new loft) and a bunch of new additions (like Weaver's bed/cozy) and put them in.

Everything was fine, until I heard squeels while in the other room. It seems that Cheese is just a big bully, everywhere Gruber went Cheese would go and annoy her and steal her spot. I have a pigloo, a hidey house (pigloo was Grubers, house was Cheeses). I have one cozy and one bed. Despite there being ample hiding/hanging out room, Cheese would insist on bothering Gruber and taking her spot. Sometimes she wouldn't even take the spot, she would come up to Gruber, freak her out, then lie down next to her!

Currently, they are both in their own houses, though Cheese sometimes will come over and kick Gruber out of her pigloo and make gruber squeal quite loudly (though I dont' think she's getting nipped or anything). If I try to pick up or approach Gruber right after some of these incidents, she will squeal in the same way.

I feel terrible, I was extatic that the buddy bath worked (thanks to all the good tips!), but now I think Gruber is even in worse condition! Poor thing is constantly harassed and totally freaked out. I haven't separated and will see how it plays overnight, hopefully while I"m at work tomorrow nothing will happen.

I know some people have suggested getting rid of pigloos for other hidey areas but the thing is Cheese just harasses Gruber regardless of where they are. Will give it a day or two and see how it goes. Just wanted to give an updated and see if anyone had any more pointers?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:13 am

Some pairs can be very fussy for a week, and then things seem to settle down.

If there's no blood I'd be tempted to keep them together. There may be a lot of noise and chasing, but quite often things do settle down within a few days.

It can be nerve-wracking, though!

Olwen

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:28 am

I agree... Some pigs just need time I think. I have four boys They fight and mount and chase and steal pigloos.... I figure boys will be boys.... Better than living a life in solitude.

I hope you are able to keep both of the pigs, best of luck!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:54 am

I hope Gruber and Cheese will settle down soon, too.

You may want to weigh them daily during this adjustment period, to ensure that they are both eating.

rpaws

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:40 am

I think even the most bonded guinea pigs have spats now and then.

My two adopted girls were found abandoned together and were VERY bonded. They always were checking on where the other one was.

However, every now and again I would hear some squabbling noises from the cage. I don't know if they were arguing over space, a piece of food, or just because they were together 24/7 and one couldn't take hearing the other one tell the same joke for the millionth time. I remember I would just raise my voice and say, "Don't make me come over there" and immediately the squabbling would cease.

JoePig

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:09 am

I think you and your pigs are doing well.

micmik326

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:09 am

The three boys I picked up last Fri. are just now starting to leave each other alone. Poor Samuel gets the worst of it all. But, they are now starting to do much better. We still have the occassional chasing, chattering, & mounting but nothing like before. If there is no blood shed, I would leave them be and let them work out who gets to be boss. I think it is more stressful for us humans than it is for the piggies. Good luck.

ramzo19

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:39 am

I agree that its more stressful for us than them! I just feel bad because Gruber is just completely freaked out and never left alone. I ended up taking out both pigloo and hidey house last night just to see if that helps but Cheese just continues to harass Gruber.

I don't intend to separate them and will give it some time (and weight daily to make sure Cheese is letting Gruber eat!). I'm just happy they are living in the same cage and not trying to kill each other but am totally stressed that the baby is miserable. I think Cheese is in fact nipping sometimes to get Gruber out of the cozy etc and trying to mount her but otherwise no real bites.

Thanks again for the reassurance! Will keep you updated and will post pics soon.

twofinepigs

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:51 am

I had a foster pair that fought seriously. A buddy bath really did help. I have to say I think it WAS the trauma, though. It was a gentle, very little water, towel on the bottom of the tub bath, but it was still scary for them, and all they had was each other. It may have helped to make them smell more-or-less the same, but having to hang together was key, too.

I also learned to ignore some heavy squabbling, which my personal pigs had never done, so I hadn't seen it. If they aren't drawing blood or locked in a flying furball, you really do have to be stoic about the fighting while they work it all out.

ramzo19

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:14 am

Yeah I think having a larger introduction area if things don't work out the first time helps too. The couch just didn't give Gruber enough space to run away after she decided to not attack anymore. A 3x3 was wide enough for her to run in circles and evade Cheese for a bit which actually helped me relax and not try to break up a possible fight when she was backed into a corner. Had I not just let the chasing go on, they probably wouldnt' be in the same cage right now!

ramzo19

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:08 pm

Another quick question - if Cheese continues to harass Gruber regularly in the next 24 hours, is it ok to transport them both in a cat carrier for an hour or so in the car?

I'm debating whether I should take them home given their new roomate status but if they are in such tight quarters I don't want something bad breaking out while I'm driving.

JoePig

Post   » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:15 pm

You could try it and have a second carrier as a backup.

What are they going to be in at the end of the trip?