Advice needed for my girls

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:22 am

Even my experienced exotic vets can't detect heart issues, or often even fluid in the lungs, without an xray.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:42 am

All 4 girls (particularly Rosie who isnt sick) have been very very lazy today, which is unusual and has worried me further somewhat, saying that it could just be the heat. They dont move when I go to pick them up and havent gone through nearly as much veggies and pellets as they normally do. Although their weight has remained stable (weighed them 10 minutes ago, and there was only normal flactuation).

All girls had their 3rd round of ivomec last night, and Buttercup and Toffee had their first dose of Baytril. They have been on baytril before, with no ill effects, so I dont think they have an intolerance. Nevertheless I have been popping an acidophilous pill and sprinkling the contents on a couple of leafs of cos lettuce once a day.

I did make up a pellet mash with some baby food (pumpkin - they wouldnt eat it plain) but they werent really hungry.

I havent been able to get through to the exotic vet yet. But am going to try again now.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:40 pm

Both Buttercup and Toffees discharge cleared up after being on Baytril and hasnt come back yet. I emailed the exotic vet (apparently this is the quickest way to get a hold of her) but I am still waiting on a reply. I still would like a x-ray done, just to rule out things.

Toffees hair is really funny at the moment. In places the hair is really quite thin (on her neck) and is quite patchy. I dont know whether I should do another round of Ivermectin (it could be mites, as the heat could have stressed her bringing them on), or whether I should treat her for a fungal infection.

It looks nothing like the page on fungus on GL, just patchy loss of hair. Would treating her hurt? I am trying to find maleseb but dont know where to get it, any ideas (keep in mind I am from Australia)? I read somewhere that another way is to get her wet, then rub betadine in, what do you think?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm

Treat them for mites. I wouldn't worry about the Malaseb if they don't have white, flakey patches (which is usually a good indication of fungus).

Be sure to treat all your pigs at the same time, not just these two (if you have any more pigs).

pigsforlife3

Post   » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:24 pm

Yes I have 4 girls. They had 3 rounds last time. Should I do the same again, or should I do 4 rounds? Also is it possible for Ivermectin to go "off"?

Katt sent it to me awhile ago probably 5 months ago, and I have been keeping it in the "medicine box" with their food.

If it is possible for it to go off, I wont be able to get Ivermectin until I can get ahold of her, plus postage time. I can get Revolution easily though.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:29 pm

Ivermectin does expire. The expiry is usually pretty long though, but it'll be ineffective if it's expired.

Revolution is fine and sometimes works better in severe cases of mites. Also it doesn't have to be used weekly.

Be sure, though, that you check the dosing information on this site - don't go by the instructions on the tube.

https://www.guinealynx.info/antiparasiti ... revolution

pigsforlife3

Post   » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:43 pm

I think to be safe I will get Revolution. Do I need a specific revolution - such as revolution for dogs, revolution for kittens?

Edit to add:
Just looked at the packet I have for the dogs. Theirs is specifically for dogs between the weight of 5kg-10kgs, and comes in 120mg tubes. So I need to go and get another packet, probably the one for kittens.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:50 pm

You can use the 120mg tubes, you just have to adjust the dose accordingly.

I usually use the pink kitten one which has a lower concentration.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:00 pm

Yeah I read that the 120mg ones are ok. What I was trying to say/ask was I will need to go and get another packet (probably the one for kittens) as the one I have for the dogs is to be given for dogs where their weight is between 5-10kgs. Does this not matter?

Sorry for all of the questions, and thankyou for your help.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:07 pm

If you check the link I gave you you'll see that you can use either. You just need to give the right dose in mg. I think, though, it will be easier to measure the kitten one than the dog one!

pigsforlife3

Post   » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:22 pm

The girls have been fine up until today. As I walked into the games room where their cage is I noticed that Buttercup was wheezing. It was quite hot (28 degrees celcius) as I had been out and did not have the air conditioner on. As far as I can tell it has settled down somewhat now. Any Ideas?

I have also noticed what looks like 2 poops joined together in a line sort of thing. Is this anything to worry about?

Is a vet visit in order?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:31 am

This is the girl with the history of URIs, right?

Sounds like she needs a vet visit asap and probably some antibiotics.

And - as always - see if you can get your vet to check for heart problems with an xray of the heart and lungs. Or better still a trial of human lotensin.