new pig does not like veggies!

tiggyswift

Post   » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:58 pm

He only eats the lettuce and parsley right now,and his pellets have Vitamin C too, so for right now I think he is ok. I hope he starts trying the peppers and kale soon, though. I plan to switch his pellets to the oxbow, too. Right now, he is eating what they gave him at the store, and I am slowly going to add the oxbow to that and decrease the kaytee. I wanted to give him a little bit of time getting his eating back to normal before I made the switch. I didn't want to ruin the progress he was making too soon. His weight is up a bit. He even feels heavier to me! We snuggled on the couch for quite a while tonight. He was stretched out along my neck. It was so cute!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:18 pm

Kaytee what?

Forti-Diet and Timothy Complete are not bad. They're not as good as Oxbow's or Kleenmama's, but they'll do. If you're using either of those, you can change over gradually so as not to upset the wonderful progress he has made.

If it's anything else, 1) pick out and throw out any colored pieces, seeds, bits, Lucky Charms and assorted crap that's in it and give the plain pellets only; and 2) make the switchover faster.

tiggyswift

Post   » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:35 pm

It is Kaytee Supreme Fortified Daily Blend. It has no colored pieces at all. I know they are bad and I have never used anything with seeds or colored pieces. I think this one is fine for now, and I will do a gradual switchover. He seems to be somewhat picky, but I am hoping he will like the Oxbow.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:35 pm

Glad to hear he's doing so much better.

tiggyswift

Post   » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:42 pm

Thank You! He goes tomorrow for one last f/u at the vet. Hopefully, that will be it for a while. He has made tremendous progress!

tiggyswift

Post   » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:50 pm

It appears Junior is relapsing tonight! *sigh* He was doing so well, but tonight he isn't eating well again. He tried to eat a few pellets, but dropped them. He did manage to get a few in, and a bit of hay, but that is it. Luckily, he goes tomorrow afternoon to the vet, so I will have him thouroughly checked again, but in the meantime *sigh* I thought we were out of the woods.I made some mash out of his pellets and put it in his cage, hoping he would try to eat some of that. It has only been 5 minutes so far. He also is wiping his nose with his paw, but he does not appear to have any drainage that I can see, and his breathing is normal. If he doesn't eat soon, I guess we are back to CC feedings again *sigh* Pray that he will eat soon! I don't understand why this is happening after he has been doing so well! I have not had to force feed him since he came home from my vet on the 19th!

tiggyswift

Post   » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:01 pm

I just got done syringe feeding Junior a few minutes ago. I got 12 ml of CC mixed with baby sweet potato and Vitamin C, and 15ml of water. It took me about 1/2 hour to feed him this time. I wish I knew what was wrong this time! The only change from yesterday to today was his water. I read that well water may not be good for pigs, and because I am unsure about the mineral content, I gave them bottled water instead. Elmo is fine, though, so I don't think that is it. I can't think of any other reason he would relapse after doing so well since the 19th! Thank god we go to the vet tomorrow! Maybe he can figure out what is wrong. I will update when I can. I am off to bed now, so I can get up in a few hours or so to check on him. Pray that he eats please! Thanks!

tiggyswift

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:20 am

Junior has eaten some on his own during the night, thank god! I am watching him eating pellets right now. He ate a bit of pellets, but not as much as he has been, and his lettuce. He seems to be pooping ok and drinking, too. I will watch him for a while, and then decide if he needs another CC feeding. He does look a bit better, too, than he did last night. He is holding his weight, too. He was slightly down last night, but now is up a little. He is 2/8 oz less than he was after CC feeding last night, which is ok still. He is eating more lettuce now. I took his house out to get him out and weigh him, and he started eating when I put him back in. I will keep his house out till he finishes, as I don't want to interupt his eating right now. I will update later.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:51 am

I don't think the water would make a difference. Good luck getting him to eat more.

tiggyswift

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:02 pm

I didn't think so either, Lynx. That was the only change I made, so I thought I would mention it. I gave him tap water again, to see if it would help. He is doing better today. He is eating all on his own again. Maybe the one syringe feed encouraged him to do so. He really hates it! He ate almost all of his lettuce and parlsey overnight, and some hay and pellets, too. I am not sure why he relapsed like that, but I am glad he is doing better today!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:38 pm

Good thoughts for Junior!

Earlier this year, I started a "Food Diary" for one of my girls. She was not only sensitive to certain foods, but it turned out that she needed portion control as well.

The Food Diary helped me track down what she can tolerate, and how much she is allowed to eat at a time. For instance, she can have 1 or 2 small grape tomatoes, but 3 of them will make her uncomfortable to the point where she won't want to eat later in the day.

I hope this will give you some ideas.

tiggyswift

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:21 pm

He only eats romaine and green leaf lettuces, and a small amount of parsley for veggies, so far, besides his pellets and hay. I actually do keep track of what he gets and how much he eats already. I will have my vet check him over again and see if he can find anything. He ate some this morning, which is good, and his weight is stable. I will update his progress later. Thanks for the advice.