*URGENT* Passing blood...squeaking

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:36 am

I wonder about carbonates, too. From everything I've read, they're actually more common that oxalates, and make more sense to me -- given that oxalates supposedly have trouble forming in an alkaline environment.

I still have Sebastian's stone here. Never had it analyzed; I wonder if I should.

Smoskaly
Supporter in '09

Post   » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:30 pm

Sef, who's the piggy in your avatar? Is that Zachary?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:14 pm

Yes, that's Zachary. :)

gpgrandma
Supporter in '07

Post   » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:36 pm

How's Zachary doing today? Hope he is hanging in there.

Becky

Post   » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:56 pm

You only want more acidic urine if there are struvite crystals. Everything else, you want alkaline urine.

Also, I would bet the farm that they are not oxalate or magnesium crystals, but calcium carbonate. Almost all of them are, but many vets say oxalate based on cats and dogs.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:09 am

Becky -- after re-reading the thread w/ Dr. Hawkins' comments on stone composition, I see now that Polycitra would probably not be of much value since this is most likely NOT an oxalate stone. It's one reason why I'm leaning towards having the one accessible stone removed (so that it can be analyzed).

My vet isn't in today, so I left a message for my vet's colleague this morning to see if they have used hydrochlorothiazide. Do you happen to know, Becky, what the dosing recommendations are on it? It's not in the Formulary, and I couldn't find a reference to it online other than for human use. I sent Dr. Hawkins an email last night, asking her about dosing and a few other questions. I hope it wasn't too pushy of me to contact her directly, but I'm getting a little desperate.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:44 pm

I just ran over to the vet's office on my lunch hour and picked up Zachary's xrays. We have a lightbox here at work, but I had trouble getting a decent image with the digital camera that I have (the flash kept going off).

Here are the images; feedback appreciated (I have marked the first one according to what our vet is telling us):

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:08 pm

Here's a slightly clearer version of the first image. I think I may have also gotten it flipped backwards:

[Edit-a future post may have an additional image - Lynx
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 9#p2082059 ]

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:12 pm

I think the x-rays are very detailed and clear.

Hugs for Zachary. Hugs for you too, Sef.

Becky

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:28 pm

Very few stones are oxalate. As I said before, I'd guess it actually is calcium carbonate, not oxalate. Either way, the polycitra would be fine and you certainly could give it a try. It's not expensive and given properly, won't hurt.

Holy smokes, that's a lot of stones and a lot of sludge, too. He's got to be extremely uncomfortable.

HCT is a blood pressure med. Why were you considering this?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:44 pm

I know. And I really don't know how best to deal with the discomfort. He's on .1 cc's of Metacam once a day, and I have given him a couple of doses of Torb but can't tell if it makes any difference.

Michelle Hawkins had mentioned that she found HCT to be more effective at preventing stones than Polycitra. Have you heard of this?

Dumb question, but are Polycitra and potassium citrate the exact same thing?

Becky

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:00 pm

Polycitra is potassium citrate, yes.

I imagine the theory behind HCT is that it helps flush out excess fluids (it's a diuretic). I'm not a doctor or vet, but I just wonder how it would prevent stones.

HCT also can do strange things to potasium levels. I know. I was on it and had to switch because my leg muscle started cramping.

Use an electric toothbrush or small massager on his belly. That will help with the sludge pain. I think Josephine already gave you some good info about pain relief. I'm sure he needs it.

Not going back to look--did they do any sort of dye tracer to see exactly what his urine flow is through the ureters?