*URGENT* Passing blood...squeaking

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:25 pm

No, I didn't know there was such a thing as a dye tracer. (Mind you, I live out in the boonies here in Indiana...I'm lucky to have a vet as relatively savvy as she is, because good resources in these parts are few and far between.)

Sounds like something I should mention when I discuss the Metacam and Torb doses again with her on Monday. What is involved in that?

I'm off to see who carries potassium citrate around here.

Becky

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:37 pm

They were going to inject him with dye, then somehow check to see what the flow was through the ureter that had a stone. To be honest with you, I'd have to dig out my notes for more detail and I haven't a clue where they are. Can't remember if we were going to check via ultrasound or some other means. We never got that far, so I really can't remember.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:13 pm

Well...not surprisingly, nobody around here has potassium citrate. My vet didn't have it when I asked the other day, CVS doesn't have it, KMart doesn't have it, GNC doesn't have it. I called the small locally owned health food shop in town, and they said they had it. So I drove over to pick it up.

Turns out that it's "BioCitrate Potassium." Brand is Solaray, and here is what the label says:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Formulated for enhanced potassium absorption. 99mg of Potassium (as Potassium Citrate).

Other ingredients: Rice flour, vegetable cellulose capsule, parsley leaf, celery seed, dandelion root, magnesium stearate, watercress leaf and oat straw stem."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guy said that parsley is a natural diuretic and is used in natural medicine to help dissolve crystals and prevent stones. He said celery seed is also used to treat kidney stones, and dandelion root...does something. He didn't comment on the watercress or oat straw, but a Google search shows that they're both used in natural medicine for kidney and bladder problems.

Can I use this? Or is it the wrong stuff (as far as the potassium citrate goes)? It was $5.80 for a bottle of 60 vegetarian capsules.

Ledasmom

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:15 pm

I believe dandelion is or was considered to be a diuretic, therefore the French name "pissenlit" (bed-wetter).

Piggster

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:31 pm

parsley is a natural diuretic and is used in natural medicine to help dissolve crystals and prevent stones

Unfortunately parsley is one of foods that "triggers" Kyla's cystitis, as does dandelions, but maybe dandelion root is different.

How ironic is that!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:16 pm

If you'd like, I can add a couple of your xrays permanently to the thread.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:20 pm

Yes, thanks Lynx. You can pick the ones you think are clearest.

averyl

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:51 pm

sef- I had the same problem but finally had gotten my polycitra at Walgreen's. Maybe you have one near you. : )

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:58 pm

WALGREENS. I didn't even think of that. We do have one; it's on the other end of town. Is yours just plain potassium citrate, then? 99mg?

Mine is probably okay, but I would have preferred it without all the other stuff.

What dose are you using?

averyl

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:15 pm

sef- It's "Cytra-3 Syrup". His does was originally .2 cc with water but lowered to .1 cc. You need a prescription from your vet and they will put your pig into their system.

Becky

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:20 pm

Polycitra is a prescription. You'll need a vet to Rx it. I don't know a thing about any of the others.

ETA: Duh! Avryl just said it has to be rx'd.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:06 pm

Well, now I'm confused. My vet had said that potassium citrate is not a prescription. That's why I asked if potassium citrate and Polycitrate are the same thing. So...you're saying I don't want potassium citrate; I want Polycitrate, and I need to ask my vet to call it into a pharmacy, right?

Damn. Zachary is really having some discomfort this evening. I already gave him a dose of Metacam this a.m. and a dose of Torb this evening. Not good.