new pig does not like veggies!

tiggyswift

Post   » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:37 pm

Sorry, I can't seem to delete my double post!

tiggyswift

Post   » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Lynx, is it possible to delete the first of my double post? I tried to edit, and somehow double posted. Sorry.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:25 am

You've done a wonderful job caring for Junior and helping him recover, and I'm so glad that the pet store is reimbursing you for your medical bills. Junior is very fortunate to have you. Congratulations!

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:35 am

Well done! Well done! I'm go glad you got your money back and Junior is safe and well.

tiggyswift

Post   » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:45 am

Thanks! My goal was to make Junior a liability to them, not a profit!
I am glad that they backed down. I believe he still needs lice treatments, so they will owe me over $200.00 by the time I am done with them! I think if more people did this, they would stop selling them. I hope that will eventually happen!

tiggyswift

Post   » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:00 pm

Junior had a f/u appt. at vet today, and he is doing great, except he still has some lice eggs. He needs further treatment for that, but that is it! He is one healthy boy! It will be at least 2 more weeks before he and Elmo can be introduced. Oh well. I will post if anything new comes up, or when the introductions begin!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:01 pm

Did they give you some Advantage for the lice?

tiggyswift

Post   » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:05 pm

No, he says he has not had much luck with that, so he recommended something else, a powder, but I can't remember the name of it offhand. He also told me to use a flea comb to get the eggs off. He has only eggs right now.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:46 pm

Aaggghh! No no no please NO.

The powders can cause neurological damage and even death. Look on the label and tell us what's in it. Likely pyrethrin or similar. Please **DON'T** use that on a guinea pig unless it's a desperate situation.

No flea comb needed. Two drops of Advantage once, then again about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks later. End of problem. No extra cleaning, no combing, no boiling, no baking, no bleach, no scrubbing.

I have a very hard time believing he hasn't had much luck with Advantage on the guinea pig louse. Me and a host of others here have had it work beautifully.

It's not a prescription. Nearly any online place has it, here's one:

Drs. Foster & Smith

It's not cheap, but it is well worth every penny in effectiveness and ease of use.

Information:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2488

Please excuse the hysterical reply, but the powders can kill, and very gruesomely, unless used extremely carefully and only in extraordinary situations.

tiggyswift

Post   » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:51 pm

The name of it is carbaryl 5% dust. It is supposed to be safe for use on animals, I did research it some. I have not been able to find it yet, though. He is supposed to call me back with some info on it tomorrow I guess. I will try to get the advantage. He said just a tiny pinch should do the trick of the powder.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:54 pm

Carbaryl powder is a very strong poison. It's (relatively) safe if used on larger animals, such as dogs. Not on the tiny ones like guinea pigs.

Advantage is so much safer and so effective, I hate to see you take a chance with Junior after he has come so far and is doing so well under your care!

tiggyswift

Post   » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:03 pm

I know, I don't want to risk it either! I really do trust this vet, but am a bit leery of this, as the brand name is Sevin 5% powder, which says for dogs and even cats. I am not sure why he says Advantage did not work well. I will try to get the Advantage from my cats' vet, which is close. Is there a kitten version I should get? Thank you for your hysterical reply! I don't want to harm him! How soon after the treatment can he join Elmo? Does it have to be 2 treatments, or will one work, or does it depend on how bad it is?