Lonely guinea pigs

Maradona

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:11 am

Hi, I wonder about the keeping of only one guinea pig in other countries. Is it common? Here in Sweden there's a new law preventing to hold herd animals alone, as it is against their natural behaviour.

When keeping, for example guinea pigs, I think it's impossible to not notice their happines and wellfare while in groups or pairs.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:13 am

Here in Sweden there's a new law preventing to hold herd animals alone, as it is against their natural behaviour.
What a wonderful law!

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:32 am

Part of our updated Animal Welfare laws state that social animals not be kept alone. Pets at Home are using it to promote selling piggies in pairs. The only good thing about it is the cost of a pair of piggies can make people think again about getting guinea pigs in the first place.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:41 pm

But if one pig dies at the age of 6, does that mean you have to get a mate for the remaining pig?

glade
Even Republicans Give!

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:53 pm

I like the idea of the law, but see issues.

What of a situation like TWP? I have four pigs now, and don't plan on anymore. So would I be breaking the law when I am down to one pig?

What if you have a pig who absolutely does not get along with others?

I think it might encourage more people to get breeding pairs, also.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:42 pm

What if you have a pig who absolutely does not get along with others?
Hm.... what if we only had Meimei...???
Maybe they would make an exception for her in this case! :p

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:45 pm

I guess every way has its problems. That's why it took 9 long weeks to get a friend for Chilli after Sparky died. I suppose I could have pleaded the fact of a lonely pig needing a friend at one of the pet stores.... ;·)

Maradona

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:45 pm

There are some exceptions ofcourse, for an example if an animal dont get along with others, of course it can be by itself.
The law does not concern Particular and logical reasons.

I realy do not think there are more people getting breeding pairs just because the animals should not be kept alone, I dont see why it should be like that?
I think its on the contrary. People getting either sows or boars.

however my question was if there are common, in other places of the world, for.ex. USA, keeping just one guinea pig, not knowing their needs of friends. Of course there are still a lot of people not knowing there should be more than one piggie here to.
I'm just interested in piggies life elsewhere.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:05 pm

The law doesn't indicate that people SHOULD get breeding pairs but there are some very deep seated misconceptions that it's "wrong" to keep same sex pairs or that all males will fight. So while this would be a misinterpretation of the intention of the law, it would probably be a common one.

As for it being common, I don't believe such legislation is commonplace, no. In the US we can hardly get people to provide even the most basic levels of care like food, water, and shelter. Companionship and happiness would be seen as "above and beyond" probably, and that's sad.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:04 pm

There are laws requiring you to provide the basics. Getting people to do it and enforcing it is another issue since there are too many idiots out there.