Heart meds for heart murmer?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:47 am

Sending good thoughts for sweet Chester, and I hope he starts feeling a little better soon.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:34 am

Interesting that Vicki mentions Cavy Cuisine as being helpful for bladder problems and/or sludge. All of my guinea pigs have always been on it, and yet three have developed stones within the past two years. Not sure what that says about it, but I've recently decided to switch to Kleenmama in the off-chance that there's something in Oxbow's extrusion process that causes their pellets to be a contributing factor.

Is Vicki aware that recent findings have shown that 95% of all guinea pig stones are calcium carbonate in composition? According to Dr. Hawkins, even stones that were previously analyzed and determined to be oxalate in nature were re-analyzed in the UC Davis study and found to be calcium carbonate instead. Apparently many labs are ill-equipped (or too inexperienced?) to properly identify this type of stone. Perhaps there is something about calcium carbonate that responds to the ingredients in ActiGall-?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:48 am

Interesting stuff, and hard to know what's going on with these stones.

But if I had a pig with inoperable stones which would eventually cause the demise of the pig, I'd give the Actigall at try at this stage - it doesn't seem as if there's a lot to lose here with trying it.

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:17 pm

I'm so glad that chester has you guys. You do so much for your pigs and I admire you for that.

I am also very interested in this new Actigall drug. I've lost two pigs to stones already and am always wishing for a breakthough in treating them. I hope we can continue to research this drug.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:26 am

The correct name for the Actigall in the UK is Destolit also known as Ursodeoxycholic Acid, Ursodiol or Urdox tablets.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:55 pm

Thanks, guys. Our vet ordered some Lotensin for us! I hope we can get some comparisons from our vet to normal limits on the blood test results because I'm kind of afraid that having him on the Enalapril for a month might have affected his kidneys. We were only told that there was no significant change from before the Enalapril, but maybe Chester's kidneys were always not that great and it's affecting the stone production.

Our vet is interested in trying the Actigall as well, but isn't sure how much should be given and how often. Is there any dosing information? The info pinta posted mentions a capsule. Is the whole thing given?

pinta

Post   » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:34 pm

This is the dose Vicki's vet came up with:

Mix one 300 mg capsule Actigall/Ursodiol with 2cc liquid.
Give 1/2 cc (.5 cc) once daily for 8 days

Then mix one 300 mg capsule Actigall/Ursodiol with 4cc liquid
Give 1/2 cc (.5 cc) once daily for a 1-2 months or until stone or sludge is confirmed gone by X-ray.

After that administer lower (weaker) dose once every other day indefinitely if it seems to have helped.

Says Vicki: "Although the Actigall did seem to help in some cases, far as I know surgery is still the very best option to quickly
and completely remove bladder stones."

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:12 pm

Thank you Pinta, and if you somehow read this, thank you Vicki!

Also, we do realize that surgery is probably the best way to go because the Actigall isn't really proven, but we are still trying to figure out what is best for Chester since he's a risky surgery candidate. Having been through 2 stone surgeries on Peppi and having giant stones form within weeks after each one, and with the speed these stones have formed in Chester, I don't have high hopes for any "permanent" solution, sadly.

eclipse_trb

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:07 pm

Capybara I am having similar issues did you ever give Actigall a try?