new pig does not like veggies!

tiggyswift

Post   » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:19 pm

I will keep trying, but so far, the more good pellets I put in, the less he eats. Figures, huh?

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:03 pm

Strangely enough my little one doesn't like Oxbow either. Won't touch the stuff. Come to find out she does not like licorice and that's what Oxbow smells like.

She chows down on KM's timothy pellets. Thinks it's piggy crack!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:24 pm

How old is Junior (one more time, I know I've asked this before :-p)?

If he's under a year, don't worry about the alfalfa pellets just yet ... leave him on them. Unless you plan to have him live permanently with Elmo; then Elmo will eat them and he shouldn't have them.

If it were me I'd make the switch as Topaz suggests, at the point you have them living together permanently.

tiggyswift

Post   » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:08 pm

Junior is approximately 6 months - 1 year old, according to my vet.
I would like to permanently house he and Elmo together, but want to wait until he is a bit more receptive to timothy pellets. Elmo does tend to be a bit food aggressive, so it may not work to house them together, but I would like to try. Thanks for the advice! I will keep trying. They still love to play together!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:18 pm

Oh doh, you told me all that. I'm sorry.

If they're okay at playtime, and you are able to make a large enough cage, I'd wait only long enough for you to be sure Junior is eating well and properly, and maintaining his weight and/or gaining.

What may happen is that once Junior and Elmo are together permanently, Junior will learn to stick up for himself foodwise.

tiggyswift

Post   » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:40 pm

They do play "tug of war" with veggies during floor time! Junior has gained a few ounces this past week , which is good. I have been very busy lately, so have not had time to arrange "move in day" yet, but will soon. Elmo is in a big cage already, so that is all set.
His cage mate Licorice passed away in November, and we had purchased a large cage to accommodate the 2 of them. Mine has to be on a stand due to my kitties!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:29 pm

"They do play "tug of war" with veggies during floor time!"

100% normal. This will actually get Junior to eat more.

"Elmo is in a big cage already, so that is all set."

What you *don't* want is to plop Junior in "Elmo's cage." That is how Elmo will see it anyway. You need to thoroughly clean the cage, wash all food dishes, water bottles, pigloos etc.; change the fleece, bedding or whatever you use, and make the initial introduction in a neutral place (which you more or less have already done). Move the cage furnishings around so that it seems like a completely different cage to Elmo. Otherwise he will be PO'd that you put a "new" pig in "his" cage.

tiggyswift

Post   » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:19 pm

As soon as I have time, I will do all that. Right now, they enjoy floor time together every day. The tug of war does encourage Junior to eat. Elmo is a bit more aggressive with it than him , but he has learned to hold his own.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:48 pm

"but he has learned to hold his own."

They should be fine. :-)

tiggyswift

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:03 pm

Junior moved in with Elmo about half an hour ago. So far, so good! They have not had any squabbles yet, and both appear happy! Everything was washed thoroughly and the whole cage was rearranged to make it different. Thanks Talishan, for the move in advice. I am trying to mix more of the good pellets in, and will weigh both daily for a while to be sure they are both eating enough.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:49 pm

Good luck to them and to you! Keep us posted. I don't wanna see no bite wound threads, now, hear? ;-)

tiggyswift

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:36 pm

I have already gone down the rule list with them, and no biting is #1 on the list! Let's hope they follow the rules! He He!!!