Widget - another stone pig?

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:13 pm

Is it possible there's something in the water that's causing this? It just seems unusual that they drink so much of it, then develop the stones.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:49 pm

Jim went to our local water treatment plant and talked with them. I can't remember the unit of measurement they use, but from what I remember, drinking water is allowed to have up to 200 parts per (?) calcium in it, and ours only has 20 parts per (?). We would be in serious trouble if we were on well water around here, because our ground has so much limestone, and many humans who drink well water around here develop bone spurs.

I am going to call K-State on Tuesday and see about having our water analyzed, though.

I am also wondering about geographically mapping locations of pigs that develop stones. Maybe all of the ones here in Kansas originated from a 4-H litter years ago, whereas the guinea pigs in Wyoming are a heartier bunch.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:00 pm

I've been reading the various postings on this and it seems to be a really heartbreaking problem. I don't know if my info helps or clouds the issue but:

5 1/2 year intact female. X-rays and ultrasounds taken at UC Davis as well as her vets a few months ago show no signs of either sludge or stones. She stopped drinking water after her 4th birthday and gets her hydration from lettuce etc. When she did still drink she got Brita filtered water.

I wonder why some don't seem to develop this problem.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:34 pm

Excess calcium seems to be normally excreted through urine, not passed through the droppings. There is something that encourages the stones to form, the calcium to join together instead of allowing it to pass like a milky liquid. Seems some pigs have sludge which are larger particles. If we could just keep the calcium suspended and it never precipitated out, the pigs would not form stones. I think this is the theory on giving lots of fluids, giving subcutaneous fluids. Diluting things and flushing them away.

Hydrohoki

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:43 pm

I'd be interested for those who have the full water tests of the water they give their pig (tap water for most or the water after britta) in compiling the results. I can look at trends in the water composition as a function of stone pigs and non stone pigs. I'd need about 3 of each minimum though (preferable more). People who have well water should have this information.

If this data is available there are lots of things I can look at as to why the calcium might be precipitating (saturation indices, mineral precipitation, etc). No guarantee I'll find anything, but this is the kind of stuff I do at work all the time (ie, why is iron precipitating here and not there sort of stuff).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:55 pm

Water alone cannot explain it. Really. I think the genetic component (how guinea pigs insides work) that causes this to happen. There are pigs drinking calcium free water that develop stones.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:21 pm

I tend to agree with Lynx, I think there is a strong genetic component to all of this. Has to be. All three of our "stone" pigs - Sebastian, Zachary and Sidney - were from our local pet store, back before we started adopting. They *could* have a genetic link; impossible to know for sure. It just seems strange that *so far* (and knocking wood) they are the only ones to develop stones.

It's why I'm considering taking a couple of our non-pet store pigs in for x-rays, just to see if they are forming stones, too. If not, it make a stronger case for genetics vs. environment where my guys are concerned.

Hydrohoki -- I have our latest water quality report, as well as the one from last year. Would you want me to email one or both to you on Monday to see if you spot anything unusual? We use a Brita filter on our tap.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:48 pm

All three of our "stone" pigs - Sebastian, Zachary and Sidney - were from our local pet store, back before we started adopting.
Probably from the same breeder, therefore a strong likelihood of a genetic issue.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:22 pm

Water alone cannot explain it. Really. I think the genetic component (how guinea pigs insides work) that causes this to happen.

I agree with this. By Gilbert's third stone removal, it wasn't just that he had stones - his bladder wall had started to calcify. That means that something is really going wrong with the way the body is handling calcium.

Hydrohoki

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:34 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of there being something common in the water that would allow the calcium (from the water or other sources) to precipitate.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:44 pm

Ah.

I am wondering if pigs in the wild naturally form stones around the age of two?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:07 pm

Do we have any chemists around? I know there are some on GL. Maybe Rshevin? Nurgle used to help.