Malocclusion Experiences and Links To Gp Illnesses

Piggiesjoy

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:56 am

Yep, I was right the week is getting worse.
I was hopeful last night there was still more I could do for both Smudge (GP) and Bouncer (rabbit) but just had call from vet to say Smudge's kidney tumour so big he won't last for much longer will be kinder to pts as he's suffering.
Bouncers even worse (?), vet is sure his swollen tongue is something to do with his teeth, but they have no idea what it could be and he's just too weak for them to sedate him enough to see if there is anything they can find to explain it. In fact he is so poorly they won't let me bring him home as it would be too stressful and painful to move him much.
They were so good together,they shared some floor space where Smudge could get out of the way if he wanted to. I'd just adopted 2 young boars who were beginning to bond with both of them, the youngsters miss them a lot.
I suppose I should be grateful I shared time and love and kisses for 3 and a half years with Smudge, 2 with Bouncer. They were both rescues and I'm glad I was able to make up to them a bit for their rough start in life. But, boy how hard it is to have to make that final decision, and say that last goodbye.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:50 am

I'm so sorry, Piggiesjoy.

Piggiesjoy

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:52 am

Thank you Lynx.
I just wish I'd known about malocclusion problems before, I'm sure their deaths could have been prevented/delayed.
With my rabbit I could feel the jagged edges of his back teeth (after his death) and where they'd dug into his tongue causing it to swell so much he could barely breathe, his face and neck were also swollen. He was in an awful state, I hope I never ever see another animal in such pain and distress.
The mistake I made was in assuming the vet who booked him in to do his teeth, was actually the vet who was going to do it. I found out when we picked him up that it was a different vet who isn't very GP or rabbit savy. I am intending to speak to my rabbit/GP savy vet to explain what I felt in my rabbits mouth and that I feel the other vet was responsible for Bouncer's death in a most horrible way.
This has taught me that it is most important to check exactly which vet will be doing any future treatment on any of my pets, but especially my remaining GP'S.
What concerns me now is , Is there any way to actually stop malocclusion in the first place? My vet says that correct diet is vital in the first 8 weeks for small animals dental health. So is it possible to spot and correct problems before a visit to the vet is needed, through use of a chin-sling perhaps? Or are rescues/adopters etc doomed to teeth problems if they weren't fed correctly when babies? I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts anyone has.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:24 am

I think some of your questions will be answered if you reread the malocclusion page.

www.guinealynx.info/.html

pinta

Post   » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:29 am

The sooner you notice malocclusion and treat it, the better the prognosis.

Weekly weighing and monitoring of the wear of their incisors is the first step.

Dental xrays and a thorough examination by a cavy savvy vet is the second step.

Treatment through dental procedures is the third step.

Maintaining dental procedures done thru diet or jaw supprt is the fourth step.

Piggiesjoy

Post   » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:53 pm

That's excellent! Thank you Pinta for putting it so clearly. Having a chronic illness means my brain fogs up with too much information! Your advice will go on my pin board where I can see it.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:38 pm

2005 Llewelyn, brought into rescue from animal shelter, said to be 3 years of age - coat in dreadful matted condition, thin.

A month or so later was treated for malocclusion.

Gained enormous amounts of weight and did very well.

2006 diagnosed with heart murmur and possible enlargement and put on lotensin.

2008 lost drastic amounts of weight over the past couple of years. Developed severe malocclusion. Molars quickly trimmed under anesthesia - nearly didn't survive the surgery and came home on oxygen. Diagnosed with congestive heart failure.

Outcome yet to be seen, but strong link here between heart failure and malocclusion.

DisneyMOM

Post   » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:21 pm

I rescued my Buffet Bunny January 16 as some of you troublemakers cheered me on! He had his first surgery 1/19/09

His second surgery was 2/20/09 when I had him neutered at the same time. Our Vet, Dr. Baeyens at North Hills Animal Clinic in North Little Rock, AR sent me this in an email... "It is not the eating or gnawing on things that makes the teeth straight and wear down. His teeth overgrow because they are crooked and do not meet properly and grind against each other. There isn't anything you can give him to correct that misalignment. Wish there was! I am against extracting the teeth. The incisors have very large roots and they are teeth that grow constantly. They make up a large part of the upper and lower jaw and are very difficult or next to impossible to totally extract, and if you do there will be deformity in the jaws. The only way to handle his problem is the periodic trimming of the teeth."

He is healing nicely and very happy to be home with a good book.
[/url]

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:06 am

Aw, what a sweet pic, DisneyMOM.

DisneyMOM

Post   » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:35 pm

Can you believe I took that with my cell phone!

Becca8680

Post   » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:48 am

1) Wintermute/Calico/about 2.5 years
2) This monday was first malocosion treatment
3) No other health problems that i know of
4) vet cut and filed, says he will need another filing in 2-3 weeks
5) n/a

I am posting b/c I am wondering what other poeple's GPs acted like after the teeth were trimmed/filed. Mine is still the happy upbeat, very chatty GP he was; however, he is being a really picky eater.

Before the treatment I know he wasn't eating right b/c it was hard to eat - so why is he being picky now? He asks for food, and he has it in his cage, but he seems to only like these little yogurt drops I give him. He has nibbled a little on other things - oranges and parsley and little bit of his hay. Is he just being picky to get his treats? Last night I wet some of his dry food to make it soft, thinking that he needs soft food to eat - but he didnt touch it.

Today is Friday, so I can't take him to the vet until Monday. But since his personality is still the same, I am don't think he is sick, but could he be?

PS - I also put his cage mate in a seperate cage so that the cage mate wouldn't eat all his food and I can watch his diet. Could he be missing his friend?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:58 am

I encourage you to start a new thread on your guinea pig. This is not a discussion thread. We can help you there.